OWLS HEAD — Owls Head celebrated Aug. 29 its 100th anniversary as a town.

The festivities were held at the Richard Carver Harbor Park. There was music, a free food tent, a boat parade and children’s activities.

Owls Head, which was part of South Thomaston, became a town July 9, 1921. Included in this section were the areas of Ash Point, Ingraham’s Hill, Crescent Beach, Holiday Beach, Ballyhac and of course the section where the Owls Head lighthouse is located.

According to Owls Head’s website, people in this area were concerned about problems involving the one room schools over the years.

They felt that the five schools here were neglected, and that the schools in the South Thomaston Village area (the Keag) were receiving all the benefits.

John Reardon

Kay Ross Dodge talks about Owls Head’s history during the town’s 100th anniversary celebration Sunday afternoon at Richard Carver Harbor Park. The event was well attended. John Reardon