The investigation into a Feb. 17 crash on Route 17 in Rockport that claimed the life of a 26-year-old Hope woman continues, according to the district attorney’s office.

No charges have been filed. Deputy District Attorney Christopher Fernald said Monday, Aug. 30 that the case remains under investigation and the office is awaiting additional information from law enforcement.

The Feb. 17 crash occurred shortly after 6 p.m. near Rocky Pond on Route 17. Killed in the head-on crash was Elizabeth Sherfey. Sherfey was driving a 2004 Toyota Matrix westbound.

At the same time, a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica operated by Darreyl Wright, 43, then of Union, was driving east towards Rockland. Wright later changed his address to Skowhegan, according to court records.

An affidavit was filed March 15 in the Knox County court by Rockport Police Sgt. James Moore to obtain a search warrant for Wright’s medical records from the evening of the crash when Wright was taken to Pen Bay Medical Center in Rockport. Moore led the investigation.

Sgt. Moore spoke with Wright at the crash scene and he told the officer he was having trouble remembering what happened, and believes he hit his head in the crash. Wright then told Sgt. Moore he was driving to Hannaford in Rockland and recalled the other vehicle was in his lane, the affidavit stated.

The sergeant said Wright appeared slightly disoriented and confused. The officer said there was no smell of intoxicating liquor from Wright’s breath.

Wright later told Rockport Officer Antonio Del Vecchio he remembers the other vehicle being in his lane, and then the two vehicles struck head-on, according to the affidavit.

But a vehicle reconstruction report by State Police Sgt. Darren Foster and provided to Rockport police March 3 determined Wright’s vehicle crossed the center line of the road, causing the head-on crash, the affidavit stated.

Wright was treated and released from the hospital. A passenger in Sherfey’s vehicle Leeman Webb, 22, of Limestone, was injured, but the injuries were not considered life threatening, police said on the night of the crash.

In a separate case, Wright was issued a summons May 15, 2020 when stopped by the Knox County Sheriff’s Office for speeding 90 miles per hour in a 55-mile-per-hour zone on Route 17 in Union. Wright pleaded guilty to the offense on April 15, 2021 in the Knox County court and fined $400.

Wright appealed his conviction, however, to the Maine Supreme Judicial Court, saying he did not know he was going to have his motor vehicle license revoked for three years by the Maine Secretary of State’s Office as a result of the conviction. He did not have an attorney.

The Maine Supreme Court rejected his appeal on May 26.