OWLS HEAD — Owls Head will celebrate its 100th birthday Sunday, Aug. 29, at Richard Carver Harbor Park. The celebration will be from noon to 3 p.m.

There will be a free food tent, music, a boat parade and children’s activities. A 5-kilometer family fun run will be held at 8 a.m.

A shuttle bus will run from the town office to the park. No pets are allowed.

Owls Head, which was part of South Thomaston, became a town July 9, 1921. Included in this section were the areas of Ash Point, Ingraham’s Hill, Crescent Beach, Holiday Beach, Ballyhac and of course the section where the Owls Head lighthouse is located.

According to Owls Head’s website, people in this area were concerned about problems involving the one room schools over the years. They felt that the five schools here were neglected, and that the schools in the South Thomaston Village area (the Keag) were receiving all the benefits.

The website states it is generally believed the town derived its name from sailors, who in 1759, observed the tall headland of trap rock extending far into the water in the extreme northeastern end of the town (the lighthouse area) and imagined it bore a resemblance to the neck and head of an owl.

When Owls Head was visited by French explorer Samuel de Champlain in 1605, the area was called Bedabedec Point, the Indian word meaning, “Cape of the Winds.”

Some historians claim the name is of Indian origin and is expressed in their language by the word, “Mecadacut,” meaning “Owls Head.”