A  43-year-old Cushing man accused of stealing a pickup truck, breaking into another vehicle and taking a gun, and cashing stolen checks from a church will remain in jail following a court hearing in which he tried to get released on bail by saying his child was sick with cancer.

A representative from Maine Pre-Trial Service, which oversees many defendants who get released on bail in Knox County, said, however, the child did not have cancer. In addition, she said suspect Clifton R. Wallace was not employed as he told Judge Geoffrey Rushlau during Wallace’s initial appearance Friday, July 9 in the Knox County Court.

Wallace appeared to be crying as he pleaded with Judge Rushlau to be released on unsecured bail. Wallace said his father had died last week, his 12-year-old son had cancer of the lymph nodes, and he had a contracting business with two employees and they had a job to complete.

Wallace is charged with five counts of theft, and one count each of burglary of a motor vehicle, forgery, receiving stolen property, operating after revocation, and improper plates.

Judge Rushlau agreed with Assistant District Attorney Lynn Madison and set bail at $5,000 cash saying Wallace’s criminal record was absolutely terrible and the allegations were very serious.

Defense attorney for the day Gregory Snow said Wallace had no money and would remain incarcerated if cash bail was set.

Wallace’s next court appearance is set for Sept. 16.

A lengthy affidavit was filed in the Knox County court to obtain an arrest warrant for Wallace. He was arrested Thursday afternoon, July 8.

The investigation began March 1 when police received reports of vehicles broken into on Ingraham Drive in Owls Head. Among the items reported taken in one of the thefts was a handgun.

One the same night, a resident of Pleasant Street in Rockland reported his pickup truck was stolen.

The owner of the stolen truck posted an item on social media about his stolen truck and received a response on March 6 from someone who said the truck was in Cushing. The owner went there and noticed the hood had been replaced but still recognized it at his vehicle.He then contacted police. The Knox County Sheriff’s Office responded, confirmed the truck was the one stolen from Rockland, and had it towed.

In the truck, police found checks that belonged to the Rockland Congregational Church.

The investigation led to witnesses telling police that Wallace had arrived with the truck and claimed he had bought it at a local dealership. The investigation also found that checks belonging to the Rockland Congregational Church were being cashed at local stores. The checks had been at the house in Cushing but were there from a woman who had earlier been convicted of stealing from the church and had begun her sentence. The additional blank checks had been left in the house by her and police suspect Wallace found them.