A 43-year-old man was arrested Tuesday night, accused of fighting with Rockland police officers after being caught hiding in a boat parked at a South End home.

Jason Whalen was arrested early Wednesday morning July 7 and charged with assault, refusing to submit to arrest, and violating a condition of release. Paperwork in court lists Whalen as both a transient and from Camden.

According to an affidavit filed in the Knox County court by Rockland police, the incident began shortly after 1 a.m. July 7 when Officer Jordan Jandreau responded to a report that a resident heard two men in the area of Otis and Main streets fighting and one of the men threatened to kill the other person.

Also responding was Sgt. Scott Solorzano. Officers went to the residence where the complaint originated and heard a noise coming from a boat that was attached to a trailer in the driveway. The owner said no one should be on the boat and gave officers permission to search it.

Sgt. Solorzano noticed movement and identified himself as a Rockland officer and ordered anyone on the boat to come out. There was no response and the sergeant got aboard the boat. He immediately spotted someone hiding under clothing and drew his sidearm and ordered the person to show their hands. A man stood up and walked toward the officer holding a cellphone in his hands.

He recognized the person as Whalen from multiple law enforcement encounters. The officer re-holstered his sidearm and ordered Whalen to get down but Whalen kept advancing and pushed the sergeant, according to the affidavit.

The sergeant attempted to handcuff Whalen who resisted and Officer Jandreau got onboard the boat. Whalen continued to resist and struck Solorzano with his left arm and kicked him with his feet. The Rockland officers asked for assistance from neighboring departments. At one point, the boat listed 45 degrees because of the weight of the three men on one end.

Thomaston Police Officer Noah Stevens arrived in seven minutes. The officers were able to subdue Whalen and take him to the jail. Solorzano’s portable radio had been ripped from his uniform and Jandreau’s badge had been torn from his uniform during the struggle.

Whalen made his initial appearance Wednesday afternoon via video from jail to the Knox County court. Judge Eric Walker set bail at $2,500 cash.

Whalen had been sentenced in court on June 25 for refusing to submit to arrest on April 29 in Camden as well two counts of operating after suspension, and violating a condition of release. He was sentenced to 90 days in jail but he was allowed to remain free and begin the sentence on June 30.

The district attorney’s office had objected to his being given a stay of that sentence.

Whalen was also charged July 7 with failure to report for not reporting to jail on June 30.