The number of active confirmed cases of Mainers with COVID-19 declined Saturday but three more people succumbed to the new virus.

Statewide, three more people have died since Friday, two from Waldo County where an outbreak at the Tall Pines long term care center struck. This brings the deaths to 32 since the first death was reported in Maine on March 27.

There have been seven deaths in Waldo County during the past two weeks.

The Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention reported Saturday, April 18 that  there were 847 confirmed cases statewide since the outbreak began last month. There have been 382 people who have recovered.

This means the number of current active confirmed cases statewide decreased from 446 on Friday to 433 on Saturday. One month ago there were 32 confirmed cases.

The active confirmed Knox County cases remained at seven on Saturday with 12 cases confirmed since the outbreak began with five people recovering.

Lincoln County's active confirmed cases remained at five with 12 confirmed cases over the past month with seven people recovering.

The CDC lists the cases based on a person's permanent home residence not where they were diagnosed.

Last week, Maine CDC Director Dr. Nirav Shah reported 17 people from outside Maine but who were diagnosed with the new virus while in Maine. There are also 13 Maine residents who were diagnosed outside the state.

There are currently 49 people hospitalized in Maine with the virus. Of those, there are 20 in critical care beds and 12 of those patients are on ventilators.

Dr. Shah has repeatedly recommended people to live their lives as though COVID-19 was in their community by adhering to physical distancing and washing hands.

The CDC said April 15 that 14,076 people have tested negative for the virus in Maine.

Cumberland County accounts for nearly half the statewide cases with 369 since the outbreak began. There are currently 161 active cases in Cumberland County virus. Fourteen of the deaths in Maine from the new virus occurred in Cumberland County.

Piscataquis County remains the only county without a confirmed case.

Gov. Janet Mills has ordered people to remain at home other than specific exceptions such as traveling to essential jobs or for essential shopping or appointments. Lodging businesses were ordered to shut down as of April 5.

The governor said in the end the decision on when to start lifting restrictions would be made based on medical evidence.

The governor said April 14 she is extending her civil emergency proclamation until May 15. That does not extend the stay at home order beyond April 30 but gives her the authority to do so if necessary.