The number of active confirmed cases of Mainers with COVID-19 continued to rise Wednesday with an additional four deaths reported statewide since Tuesday.

The Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention reported Wednesday, April 15 that  there were 770 confirmed cases since the outbreak began last month. The number of people who have recovered is 305.

And four more people died, bringing the total to 24. Two of the deaths occurred in Cumberland County with one each in Kennebec and Androscoggin counties.

This means the number of current active confirmed cases increased from 422 on Sunday to 441 on Wednesday.

The active confirmed Knox County cases increased to seven on Wednesday. The have been 12 cases since the outbreak began with five people recovering. The two doctors from Pen Bay Medical Center in Rockport who were diagnosed with the new virus a few weeks ago have fully recovered.

The Waldo County active confirmed cases have increased to 27. There have been 30 cases since the outbreak began with one recovery and two deaths. The cases have been concentrated at Tall Pines long term care center in Belfast.

The CDC lists the cases based on a person's permanent home residence not where they were diagnosed.

Last week, Maine CDC Director Dr. Nirav Shah reported 17 people from outside Maine but who were diagnosed with the new virus while in Maine. There are also 13 Maine residents who were diagnosed outside the state.

Lincoln County's active confirmed cases increased to five with 12 cases since the outbreak began and seven recoveries.

The number of people hospitalized statewide at some point during the start of the outbreak is 126.

Dr. Shah has repeatedly recommended people to live their lives as though COVID-19 was in their community by adhering to physical distancing and washing hands.

He said there have been 14,076 people who have tested negative for the virus in Maine as of Wednesday, April 15.

Cumberland County accounts for nearly half the statewide cases with 339 since the outbreak began. There are currently 169 active cases in Cumberland County virus. Fourteen of the deaths in Maine from the new virus occurred in Cumberland County.

Piscataquis County remains the only county without a confirmed case.

Gov. Janet Mills has ordered people to remain at home other than specific exceptions such as traveling to essential jobs or for essential shopping or appointments. Lodging businesses were ordered to shut down as of April 5.

The governor said in the end the decision on when to start lifting restrictions would be made based on medical evidence.

The governor said April 14 she is extending her civil emergency proclamation until May 15. That does not extend the stay at home order beyond April 30 but gives her the authority to do so if necessary.