Maine Gov. Janet Mills announced Wednesday that she was prohibiting public gatherings of more than 10 people including ordering the closure of dine-in restaurants and bars.

The governor announced her actions after the number of cases of COVID-19 in Maine increased from 32 Tuesday to 42 on Wednesday, March 18.

The CDC web site was updated Wednesday and eliminated the one case that had been assigned to Knox County. Dr. Nirav Shah, director of the Maine Center for Disease and Control, said that three cases statewide were removed from Maine's listing and transferred to their home states of residence.

The governor said that the gatherings of more than 10 that are prohibited include community, civic, faith-based, concerts, and sporting events. This ban will last through March 31 but may be renewed.

The ban does not cover grocery stores, convenience stores, manufacturing plants, or construction sites.

The governor said carry-out and home delivery can continue by restaurants.

She urged people to buy gift cards from restaurants to help support those businesses and take advantage of carry outs.

While not covered under the ban, she strongly urged, places such as gyms and hair salons, theaters, casinos, and shopping malls to also consider closing. The governor did not explain why those businesses were exempt.

The governor said one patient in Maine with COVID-19 has completely recovered. Four are hospitalized.

Another 1,670 people have been tested with negative results.