A chimney fire that began spreading beyond the chimney was quickly contained Thursday morning.

Crews from the Rockland and Rockport fire departments responded shortly before 9:30 a.m. March 12 to a report of a chimney fire that was filling a house with smoke at 21 Summer St. in Rockland.

Rockland Fire Chief Chris Whytock said the fire started burning upstairs outside the chimney.

Union Street was reduced to one lane at the intersection of Summer Street as firefighters worked to extinguish the fire and then check the home.