Two fires that broke out at the Trade Winds Inn Thursday, May 9, are believed to be from the electrical system in a wing of the hotel, the fire chief announced Friday.

Fire investigators remained Friday at the 99-room hotel on Park Drive to pinpoint the cause.

The Maine Fire Marshal's Office and the state electrical inspector were also called in to assist the Rockland Fire Department in the investigation.

The initial call came in about 11 a.m. from workers and patrons about the odor of smoke. The first crew to arrive found smoke in a hallway and utility room. Upon further investigation, firefighters found fire between the first and second floors of the hotel, Fire Chief Christopher Whytock said May 10.

Central Maine Power was called to cut power to the building. In order to do so, CMP had to also cut the power to some neighboring business on Main Street.

Firefighters were seen pulling out insulation to get to the cause of the smoke.

Damage was contained to a break room and hotel rooms. The rest of the complex was cleared of the remaining smoke and carbon monoxide and mutual aid crews were released.

As Rockland fire and emergency medical crews were conducting an investigation with the Fire Marshal’s Office and the state electrical inspector, an additional fire was located at about 4 p.m. four rooms away from the original fire.

Additional fire units were called back to extinguish that fire and investigate further.

In total, two rooms on the first floor and two rooms on the second floor were damaged.

The hotel remains open in the unaffected wings, as the problem is believed to be isolated to one section of the electrical system, the chief said.

There were no injuries.

The Trade Winds has had issues previously with fire code problems. In October 2016, the City Council voted 4-1 to renew its operating license for 30 days to give the inn’s owners time to fix building and fire code violations that were highlighted on the reality TV show “Hotel Impossible."

Those problems included household extension cords being used in ceilings of rooms and charred wiring near insulation. There also were problems found with the room where the fire alarm control panels were located.

Whytock said Friday that the fire department and code office inspect the hotel annually. He said the business had put a lot of work into the sprinkler system and upkeep of the property.

"After these fires we had the state building inspector do a walk-through with the FD, and he will be generating his report as well. Some of the issues found were what we would typically see in our annual inspection. The management has worked well with the city in the last few years to keep their hotel inspected and safe as possible," the chief said.

Fire departments from Rockland, Thomaston, South Thomaston, Rockport and Camden responded Thursday, along with Northeast Mobile Health, as part of a mutual aid agreement. The fire chief praised the Knox County Regional Communications Center for its handling of the multiple departments.

The building complex was evacuated both times.

Sirena Seller of Tulsa, Okla., was a guest at the Trade Winds. She said she and her cousin from Texas were vacationing in Rockland and were across the street from the inn at the Maine Lighthouse Museum when she heard the sirens.

She said as the number of sirens increased she went outside and found that the trucks were going to the Trade Winds. Her room was on an upper level in another section of the building from where the fire was.