The trial of a 34-year-old Thomaston man charged with the murder last year of a fellow inmate at the state prison farm is scheduled to go to trial in May 2020.

And the lawyer for Zachary Titus waived his client's right, at this time, to have a hearing to determine if he is eligible for bail. Attorney Steven Peterson of Rockport said during a Friday, Feb. 22 hearing that Titus' earliest release date from the Maine State Prison is August 2020 so the issue of bail was somewhat moot.

Titus is charged with murder in connection with the death of 28-year-old Dana R. Bartlett on June 24, 2018, at the Bolduc Correctional Facility in Warren.

Titus entered a not guilty plea Feb. 4, at his initial court appearance.

Justice Bruce Mallonee directed that the Maine Attorney General's Office turn over all the evidence it has to the defense within 20 days. The one exception is DNA testing which will be turned over when laboratory results are completed.

The state has yet to release a cause of death of Bartlett but a source reported that the state claims Bartlett died of strangulation.

An affidavit filed with the court for a search warrant has been impounded by the court and no date for its release has been set.

Titus is serving a two-year prison term for felony theft. He began his sentence in March 2018.

Bartlett had been sentenced in March 2018 in Androscoggin Superior Court to 16 months in prison for driving a motor vehicle after his license had been revoked as a habitual offender. He had lived in Lewiston.

Back in August, Jason Palmiter, who was released July 6 after serving nearly nine years in prison for robbery, said he spoke with Bartlett the day he died and that Bartlett had gone to a corrections officer and asked to be moved to another cell because he was being threatened. The other people in his cell had suspected him of stealing some cigarettes, according to Palmiter.

Bartlett then voiced his concern to Palmiter, commenting that the guard did not seem concerned and did nothing, Palmiter said.

The Corrections Department said earlier this month that no disciplinary action has been taken against staff in relation to the Bartlett case.