The Thomaston Board of Selectmen has set a public information meeting and tour Feb. 27 at 6 p.m., at the former Lura Libby Elementary School, 13 Valley St.

Over the last several months, the Standing Municipal Facility Committee has been developing plans to convert the old elementary school into the new home of the Thomaston Town Office, Recreation Department, Food Pantry, and eventually the Police Department, and Fire & Ambulance.

The SMFC has been working with local architect, John Hansen, who will be at the meeting to discuss the proposed design and answer questions.

The committee has held various meetings, and is in the process of conducting a review of the suitability and desirability of the potential relocation. Such a relocation would open up space on Maine Street for retail establishments.

In June 2016, Thomaston residents voted 206 to 81 to close Lura Libby Elementary School, transferring approximately 170 students to the Thomaston Grammar School.

The town entered into a one-year lease agreement with Regional School Unit 13 for a $1 in September 2016, then took ownership of the building in January 2017, at which time the committee was formed.

The town was given the land in 1949 to be used for parks and recreation, but instead the 24,000-square-foot facility was constructed in 1950, with additions built in 1954, 1990 and 1996.

Residents are invited to join the discussion about the future plans for the building.

Courier Publications reporter Beth A. Birmingham can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 125 or via email at bbirmingham@villagesoup.com.