A 62-year-old Bangor man is in custody following a nearly five-hour standoff with police at a downtown hotel.

Timothy N. St. Thomas was arrested shortly before 1 p.m. at the Trade Winds Inn and charged with criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, two counts of disorderly conduct and criminal trespass, according to Rockland Police Chief Bruce Boucher.

More charges — including creating a police standoff — could be filed against St. Thomas.

St. Thomas was going to be taken to Pen Bay Medical Center in Rockport by police before being taken to the Knox County Jail in Rockland.

There were no injuries.

The standoff began at about 8 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 11, when officers were called by hotel staff to have St. Thomas removed from the hotel. Officers had been called there at 4:30 a.m. when he was being disorderly, according to police, but they managed to calm him down.

When officers arrived the second time at 8 a.m., he came at them with a large walking stick, which he swung at them. The man then locked himself in a room.

The chief said since officers did not know if he had any other weapons in the room, they decided to hold off trying to immediately enter the room.

The section of the hotel where the man was located on the fourth floor was cleared, but otherwise guests were able to remain in their rooms. People were coming out of the hotel throughout the standoff, getting in their vehicles and leaving.

Officers from the Maine State Police tactical team tried to talk with Thomas, but except for one time when he came out onto the balcony of his room, he did not communicate with them. During that time on the balcony, he was ranting about a variety of things and said he was a veteran and wanted more respect. He also said all he wanted earlier in the morning was food and the dining area was not open, so he got the food himself.

Local attorney William Pagnano, who is also a justice of the peace, signed both a search warrant and an arrest warrant for police before they entered the room to apprehend the Bangor man.

The Trade Winds is on Park Drive across from the Rockland police station. The hotel has 138 rooms and 15 suites.

Harbor Park was closed off as police vehicles staged in back of the station and out of view of the hotel room where St. Thomas was. Park Drive from Main to Winter street was also closed shortly before state police went inside the room.

St. Thomas is likely to make his initial appearance in Knox County Unified Court Monday afternoon.