The trial of a Tennessee truck driver accused of causing the deaths of two Knox County residents in 2016 is now in the hands of jurors.

The jury deliberated for two hours Monday afternoon before recessing for the night. The 12 members will resume their discussions Tuesday. The jurors asked to have testimony read back about the alleged discrepancies in the commercial log books of the truck driver. That will be done Tuesday.

The prosecution and defense made their final arguments to the jurors Monday afternoon in Knox County Superior Court in the trial of 55-year-old Randall Junior Weddle of Greeneville, Tenn

District Attorney Jonathan Liberman said the fatal crash was not a random act.

"This was not the fault of bad road construction. This was not a random act of God," Liberman said. "The man responsible is sitting in this room."

Liberman cited the testimony of witnesses about Weddle's blood alcohol level and findings on the speed of the tractor trailer he was driving.

"Randall Weddle made a series of reckless decisions and took everyone else on the ride with him," Liberman said.

Defense attorney Jeremy Pratt argued that the state had failed to prove that Weddle had acted in a way that was a gross deviation from what a reasonable and prudent person would have done. He said the state's case was based on a lot of conjecture, surmising, and assumptions.

The defense called only one witness, Dr. Joann Samson, an expert on toxicology. She testified that the amount of prescribed oxycodone taken by Weddle would not have added to the impact of any alcohol he had consumed.

Weddle is charged with two counts of manslaughter, three counts of aggravated operating under the influence, two counts of driving to endanger and eight counts of various trucking rule violations. Those violations include false record-keeping, driving while fatigued, driving while using alcohol and driving while possessing alcohol.

The charges stem from a March 18, 2016, crash that claimed the lives of 45-year-old Christina Torres-York of Warren and 74-year-old Paul Fowles of Owls Head. Tracy Cook of Union was injured, sustaining multiple broken bones and a concussion from the crash that occurred on Route 17 in Washington.

Weddle did not testify at the trial which began Tuesday, Jan. 23.

Testimony during the trial included results of blood alcohol tests which showed he had a 0.090 level immediately after the crash and 0.073 a few hours later in a test taken at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston where he had been flown by a LifeFlight helicopter

There was also testimony that Weddle was traveling a minimum of 69 miles per hour when he lost control of the 1996 Freightliner tractor trailer truck on a curve by the Fitch Road. The trailer was carrying lumber. The truck has been traveling 81 miles per hour, less than 30 seconds before the crash.

Liberman said that the speed alone was enough to find Weddle guilty of manslaughter but that when taken together with his consumption of alcohol, drugs, and being ill and fatigued should result in a guilty verdict.

The prosecutor referred to the testimony of two witnesses who survived the crash Tracy Cook and Tracy Morgan. He said they were the lucky ones despite the trauma they experienced. He said Torres-York and Fowles lost their lives due to Weddle.

Manslaughter carries a possible 30-year prison term.

Liberman and Assistant District Attorney Jeffrey Baroody prosecuted the case.

Weddle is represented by attorneys Pratt, Christopher MacLean and Laura Shaw of Camden.

Justice William Stokes presided over the trial.