The Maine Attorney General's Office has cleared a Waldoboro police officer in a shooting from a year ago that killed a 57-year-old man at his home.

The Jan. 22, 2017, shooting occurred after Jon Alspaugh pulled a handgun and shot at Waldoboro Police Officer John Lash as the officer responded to a report that the man had assaulted his wife and threatened to kill her.

Alspaugh died from gunshot wounds to the head and torso, according to an autopsy done by the Maine Medical Examiner's Office. The attorney general's report determined that Alspaugh was shot six times.

According to the report, shortly before 1 a.m. Jan. 22, 2017, Waldoboro police received a report that Alspaugh was assaulting his wife. The dispatcher could hear a woman in the background saying "please stop, please stop."

Lash arrived and met with the wife outside the home and she said that her husband had assaulted her and threatened to kill her.

The officer went into the house and called for Jon Alspaugh, who was at the top of the stairs in the home. Alspaugh answered and walked down the stairs and — when he was within arm's length of Lash — pulled out a handgun and fired three shots at the officer, striking him once, according to the report.

Lash returned fire and Alspaugh fell to the floor, fatally wounded.

Lash was struck once and suffered bruised ribs, but avoided more serious injuries because his bulletproof vest stopped the bullet fired by Alspaugh.

"It was reasonable for Officer Lash to believe it necessary to use deadly force to protect himself from further injury or death. These conclusions are based on an extensive investigation. All the facts and circumstances point to the conclusion that Officer Lash acted in self-defense," according to the report signed by Deputy Attorney General Lisa Marchese.

Alspaugh had filed for divorce less than two days before the shooting, but there had been no prior calls to the home by police. There were no disputes over real estate, personal property, spousal support or attorney fees, according to paperwork filed in court. The couple had been married for 19 years.

Another family member was at the home when the shooting occurred. No one else was injured.

Alspaugh was the assistant director of the Rockland wastewater treatment plant.

The Alspaughs had moved to the area in about 2000. He had worked at FMC's carrageenan plant in Rockland from 2013 through 2015 before being hired in November 2015 by the city as its assistant director of the wastewater treatment plant.

Treatment Plant Director Terry Pinto said last year that there were no words to express his shock that Alspaugh would have committed such an act.

"He was calm, cool and collected. He was a nice person," Pinto said last year.

Pinto said he was aware that Alspaugh was going through a divorce, but that he never spoke negatively about his wife or the situation.

Alspaugh had turned 57 two weeks prior to his death.

Waldoboro Police Chief William Labombarde has backed his officer from the start. "I back my officers 110 percent, in this case 150 percent," Labombarde said following the shooting.

He could not be immediately be reached for comment Jan. 25.