A state judge refused Friday, Jan. 19, to lower bail for a man accused of repeatedly stabbing a Rockland man, an attack that the defense attorney said was provoked by a hate crime.

Judge Barbara Raimondi said she was concerned about public safety in rejecting the request for lower bail for 32-year-old George Gilmore. Gilmore is charged with elevated aggravated assault and aggravated assault as a result of the Dec. 6 attack.

He has been held at the Knox County Jail in Rockland in lieu of $50,000 bail.

Defense attorney Andrei Maciag of Brunswick said Gilmore had significant ties to the community, where his wife and two children live, and that he had a job.

The defense attorney also argued that Gilmore had been provoked and had been called a racial slur by the alleged victim. He claimed the alleged victim had two swastika tattoos and was a self-avowed Nazi.

Assistant Attorney General Christopher Fernald argued against lowering bail, pointing out that the District Attorney's Office had sought $100,000 bail at Gilmore's initial court appearance Dec. 8.

Fernald declined to comment on the claims about the victim, saying that he was not the primary prosecutor on the case. The primary prosecutor was not immediately available for comment. Robinson also could not immediately be contacted for comment.

Fernald listed Gilmore's criminal record, which includes illegal contact with a juvenile, failure to register as a sex offender and an assault in which he was sentenced to two years in prison. Gilmore moved to Maine about seven months ago, after being released from a Connecticut prison for the assault.

Maciag said the illegal contact with a juvenile occurred when Gilmore was 17 and the victim was 14. The failure to register was a mistake that resulted in no jail time because Gilmore was homeless at the time and had no address to register.

And the more recent assault in Connecticut occurred after he had been bullied for a long time, the defense attorney said.

Gilmore suffers from fetal alcohol syndrome, Maciag said.

Raimondi said she was concerned that Gilmore could respond violently again if provoked. She pointed out that he attacked the victim in the Dec. 6 incident from behind and that he had tried to cut the man's throat.

Gilmore was arrested Dec. 6 at the Rockland Dunkin' Donuts, where police said he fled on foot after the stabbings, which occurred about noon at an apartment in the Knox Apartments on Knox Street.

One stabbing victim, 33-year-old Morgan Robinson, was seriously injured in the attack. His 28-year-old wife, Monica Robinson, suffered superficial knife wounds.

Gilmore told police he snapped during an argument with Morgan Robinson and stabbed him.

An affidavit filed by Rockland police in Knox County Unified Court last month stated that Gilmore had yelled for Morgan Robinson to come back upstairs and pick up underwear he left on the bathroom floor following a shower. This led to an argument and Gilmore went to the basement and began a shouting match with Robinson.

The argument then turned to Gilmore's alleged treatment of one of the children in the apartment. Robinson told Gilmore he felt the treatment of the child was abuse. Gilmore denied he was being abusive, according to the affidavit.

Gilmore then tackled Robinson, who was facing away from him, and they fell onto a bed. Witnesses told police that Gilmore continued to strike Robinson. Monica Robinson tried to pull Gilmore off Morgan Robinson, but he continued the attack until she said she would call the police. Gilmore then left.

Monica Robinson told police she did not see the knife and did not know Morgan Robinson had been stabbed until she saw him covered in blood and he said he felt like he was breathing bubbles and felt like he was going to die, according to the affidavit. She did not notice her own injury until that point.

Officers responded and received a description of Gilmore, who was subsequently found inside a bathroom at the nearby Dunkin' Donuts. Witnesses said the man had blood on him when he came into the business.

Police evacuated the employees and customers in the business before entering the bathroom and handcuffing the man. Clothing was found inside the bathroom.

Fernald said at the Jan. 19 bail hearing, that Gilmore threw the knife down a storm drain after he fled the residence.