Knox Museum will host its annual holiday open house at Montpelier, the big white house at the turn to St. George, Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 3 and 4, from 1 to 4 p.m. Two floors will be specially decorated in blue and white, with holiday trees in every room, live entertainment and complimentary refreshments provided.

Admission is free for all, and everyone is invited to attend. In lieu of admission, canned and dry goods will be accepted at the door for distribution through the Thomaston Food Pantry; and cash donations to support Knox Museum’s programs are always welcome.

For the first time, a special benefit preview party is planned for Friday evening, Dec. 2; see story linked below.

Music galore

At 1 p.m. Saturday, the very popular duo Castlebay (Julia Lane and Fred Gosbee) returns to Knox Museum with Celtic harp, guitar, fiddle, tin whistle and traditional vocal harmonies. At 2 p.m. Saturday, The Teacups will perform instrumentals and sing three-part harmony. And the five-piece band Rusty Hinges, including a renowned bass player, mandolin player and guitarist, completes the day, performing a variety of holiday music including instrumentals at 3 p.m.

At 1 p.m. Sunday, the Suomalaiset Jouset kantele ensemble of South Thomaston’s Finnish Heritage House will present a traditional holiday lap harp performance, led by director Celia Jones. At 2 p.m. Sunday, Harborside Harmony, under the direction of June Haining, performs. And at 3 p.m., the Midcoast’s own UkesROCK!, under the direction of Gordon Page, will close out the holiday weekend.

On both Saturday and Sunday, visitors will be able to stroll from room to room at their own pace, enjoying the holiday decor provided by Anne Perkins, Dawn Swinton, Lysbeth Andrews, Bruce Habel, Barbara McNulty, Patty McDonald, Knox Museum’s Landscape Committee, Virginia Hodge, the Lady Knox Chapter of the DAR, Weskeag Farms and The Green Thumb, among others.

This year’s special blue and white theme will extend from a loan exhibition of British blue and white porcelains dating 1770 to 1775, designed by Mary Kay Felton, Joanne Richards and Suzy Shaub of the DAR, to Knox Museum trustee Anne Perkins’ always elaborate staircase decor. For the very first time, holiday trees will grace each room, strikingly adorned in blue and white.

A generous assortment of homemade goodies also will be available for sale at the baked goods table both afternoons, and free refreshments will be served in the ground level’s reception hall. For more information, call 354-8062.

Courier Publications’ A&E Editor Dagney C. Ernest can be reached at (207) 594-4401, ext. 115; or dernest@courierpublicationsllc.com.