Chuck Hartman, president of the Wessaweskeag Historical Society, will present a talk titled "Tide Power — From 1698 to Today," at the November meeting of the society, at the corner of Dublin Road and Elm Street Nov. 10 at 7 p.m.

The first tide grist mill appears to have been built on the Wessaweskeag River, which runs through South Thomaston, in 1698 by the Fench fur trader Thomas Lefebvre. He and his two sons built the mill and then traded their product, flour, with the Indians in exchange for furs.

Over the years many different tide mills were in operation on the river and continued production until the late 1800s. Products made included flour, lumber and polished stone, as well as machines to produce barrel staves and headers to make casks for the lime industry. The operation of the dam and machinery will be discussed In comparison to the history of the local Keag River tide power.

Hartman will also give a brief example of modern tide power in North America.

The talk will be preceded by a potluck supper at 6 p.m. For more information, email Kathleen Florance at kathleen@kathleenflorancestudio.com.