A Portland man is in jail after violently abducting a woman off the street in Rockland Sept. 28, according to Rockland Deputy Police Chief Chris Young. Police chased the suspect down and rescued the woman from the suspect's vehicle.

Shortly after 11:30 p.m. Sept. 28, Rockland police officers arrested Shane Hall, 29, of Portland, for felony kidnapping and eluding an officer. Hall was taken to the Knox County Jail, where he is awaiting his initial court appearance.

About 11:30 p.m. Rockland Police Sgt. Matthew Lindahl was on patrol and had stopped at the intersection of Front and Main streets. Lindahl observed a vehicle operating in an erratic manner traveling southbound on Main Street.

Lindahl activated his blue lights and attempted to stop the vehicle. The driver refused to stop and a short chase ensued. During the pursuit, Lindahl was assisted by Rockland police Officers Alex Gaylor and Addison Cox. Rockland police Officer Jacob Shirey had positioned himself in a location to deploy a pursuit termination device should the vehicle continue to flee.

While traveling west on Pleasant Street, the driver of the suspect vehicle lost control and crashed the car. As the male driver (later identified as Hall) tried to flee the scene; he was apprehended by Officers Gaylor and Cox. A female passenger in the vehicle was attended to by Lindahl. While talking with the female, Lindahl learned the following:

The woman was walking home from work when Hall jumped from his vehicle wearing a ski mask. Hall attacked the woman, choking her unconscious. When the woman regained consciousness, she was in Hall’s vehicle. The woman stated that she did not know Hall prior to this incident. As officers were pursuing Hall’s vehicle, the victim called 911 and told dispatchers that she had been kidnapped. Because the events unfolded so rapidly, this information had not been provided to the officers prior to the crash. The victim’s wallet and keys were later located at the scene of the abduction.

Detective Sgt. Russell Thompson responded to the scene to continue the investigation. The victim was taken to Pen Bay Medical Center as a precautionary measure.