A traveling nurse from Warren who was accused of diverting drugs in New Hampshire has been cleared of all charges, her attorney, Jim Moir, confirmed Aug. 25.

Kerry Bridges, 47, had been accused of diverting drugs while working at Concord Hospital last year, according to the Concord Monitor. In May jurors acquitted her of four charges and were hung on the verdict in the last seven charges, Moir said.

He said he later learned that the jury split was 11 to 1 in favor of acquitting her on all of the charges, but under the law a jury's ruling has to be unanimous.

Other charges brought against her had been dropped before the trial began, according to reports in the Concord Monitor. Following the trial the Attorney General's office dropped the remaining charges.

"As I told the jury, people do not steal drugs for no reason," Moir said. "She was not a drug user or a drug seller." He said there was an absence of any motive for Bridges, who had no other criminal record, to commit this crime.

He described it as a witch hunt and noted that there had been another case with a traveling nurse in Exeter, N.H., who had used needles, then given them to patients and spread Hepatitis C to those patients. The attorney acknowledged that case going back to 2013 might have set the hospital community in New Hampshire on edge.

Bridges has served in the Maine National Guard, according to previously published VillageSoup articles, and served on the New Hope for Women board of directors. She was the owner of Red Witch Home Brewing Supply in Rockport.

Bridges said the medical community has started down a scary avenue where medical staff are being accused of contributing to the drug problem. She said the laws are getting tougher on doctors, nurses and EMTs, so that they can face criminal charges for minor documentation errors.

She argued this could have a negative impact on patient care, where it is delayed as medical personnel make sure they are not facing these charges and problems.

She noted she has worked as a nurse for 18 years.

The Concord Monitor reported that she was accused of misconduct in 2014 by Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor. She offered to take a drug test after the fact, but the hospital declined. The report said she later admitted in writing that her documentation had been "substandard."

Bridges said that case was about documentation and that she had refused to used the electronic system for documentation.

In the New Hampshire case, the prosecution had argued Bridges showed suspect behavior.

"On several occasions, Bridges would remove painkillers from a locked dispensary and then walk straight to a staff break room," The Concord Monitor reported. "Bridges testified that she used the break room often, but always for benign reasons – to check her phone, grab a snack or use the employee restroom. The defense argued that the case exposed serious flaws at the hospital, including a lack of understanding by administrators about how nurses realistically function in the emergency department."

Moir said he believes this case has destroyed Bridges' reputation because of the publicity around it.

Bridges said she was commander of the medical unit in her National Guard service and has since retired, but said these allegations against her severely damaged her reputation in the military community. She had to resign from her position with New Hope for Women. She now works for a social media marketing company, she said.

She said she still needs to have a hearing before the Board of Nursing.

Reporters from The Concord Monitor helped provide information for this report.