Rockland Fire and EMS responded to a report of a fire alarm at the South School on Broadway at about 8 a.m. Aug. 17, according to Fire Chief Chris Whytock

A fire had started in the boiler room and was extinguished before the firefighters' arrival by construction workers. The workers were removing discontinued piping that had been used to fuel the boiler. One of the pipes contained residual propane, and when workers began to cut the pipe with a cutting torch, the propane flashed inside the boiler room. The propane fire also ignited a plastic bucket being used to collect a small amount of waste oil.

The room was evacuated and one of the workers re-entered the room and used a fire extinguisher to knock down the remaining fire.

Whytock said there was no damage to the building other than a melted bucket or two.