Tickets are now on sale for Union Historical Society’s popular Come Spring Bus Tours, offered as part of Union’s Founders Day celebrations July 15 and 16.

The tours of local historical sites will depart from the Old Town House on Town House Road at 5:30 p.m. Friday, July 15, and at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, July 16. Tickets are priced at $12 and the tour takes place rain or shine. Ticket-holders must claim their seats at least 15 minutes prior to departure time.

The narrated 2 1/2-hour bus tour follows the Georges River Scenic Byway and identifies sites where Union’s early settlers built cabins and lived. Names of the settlers are documented in town records and their lives and stories are recounted by Ben Ames Williams in his 1940 historical novel, "Come Spring."

Included in the tour are dismount stops at five historic sites, of which four are located on private property and are not open to the public at other times. After visiting settlers’ gravesites in the Common Cemetery on Ayer Hill, the tour will stop at the cellar hole of the cabin where Philip Robbins’ large family spent a crowded winter in 1776, and then at the homestead of Robbins’ oldest son David.

After a circuit over the blueberry barrens of Clarry Hill, tour participants visit the site of the “Royal Mess,” the bachelor home of Jason Ware, Joel Adams and Matthias Hawes, overlooking the hillside where Adams and his wife Mima Robbins built their home.

The fifth stop is at the Ebenezer Alden House on Common Road to see Alden’s barn and his store, which was opened in 1800 and operated for a century by the Alden family. Many founders’ names are listed in the store register.

Come Spring Bus Tour tickets may be purchased by calling UHS Board member Mary Thompson at 385-4611 (not 785!) and leaving a message. The tours usually sell out and advance purchase is recommended.