Thomaston Baptist Church will celebrate its 200th anniversary in 2016 with an old-fashioned-style Sunday morning worship service Sunday, Jan. 17, at 11 a.m., featuring music from that period and the first of its "History Moments", a collection of short items from the church's history.

Founded in 1816, Thomaston Baptist Church was originally known as the Second Baptist Church in Thomaston and met in a building on the hill near the present site of Montpelier. Now known as Thomaston Baptist Church, the congregation has been meeting at its current location at the corner of Main Street and Green Street since 1837.

An open house is being planned for Saturday, June 25, at the church, with visual displays related to the history of Thomaston Baptist Church. At that time, a granite commemorative bench will be dedicated.

The year-long recognition of the congregation's history will culminate with the closing of a time capsule in January, 2017 during the Sunday morning worship service. As always, the public is invited and encouraged to attend. For further information, call Rev. Wayne Sawyer at 354-6706.