Warren Fire Department saved a garage at 110 Montgomery Ave.from being burned when a truck inside it caught fire Feb. 19.

According to Fire Chief Ed Grinnell, his department responded to a call aournd 10 a.m. Property owner Joe Gamage had been repairing a pickup truck for someone else.

"He said he drove it into the garage and shut it off, and when he went to start it back up it 'coughed'," said Grinnell. "The next thing he knew, the whole engine compartment was on fire."

Grinnell said some firefighters worked to extinguish the cab fire, while others moved the vehicle outside.

"We saved the building, anyways," said Grinnell.

The 1999 Dodge pickup that was having a fuel leak worked on, is believed to be a total loss, according to Grinnell.

Waldoboro and Union fire departments responded to Warren Fire Station for mutual aid. Warren ambulance and about 12 firefighters were on scene for less than an hour.

"Conditions were not good at that time," said Grinnell, adding that the fact that the road is a dead end did not help with maneuvering.

Courier Publications reporter Beth A. Birmingham can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 125 or via email at bbirmingham@courierpublicationsllc. com.