There was exciting racing action Saturday, June 28, and it continued into the warm night as the lights of Wiscasset Speedway illuminated the track.

The night’s action handed the division winners their first checkered flags of the year. For two of them it marked their first career win.

Group one racing included: Pro Stock, New England Four Cylinder Pro Stock, Outlaw Mini and Napa Super Street. The flex race of the week was an exhibition of modified race cars.

During intermission the Woodside One Wheelers provided a unicycle race, and performed for the crowd.

First on the track was a 25-lap Napa Super Street event. Starting on the pole was Dan Nessmith. Behind him was Zach Poland and Josh Bailey. When green flag racing began, Bailey passed Poland off the start for second. Poland went into a spin coming into turn two and Jamie Norton moved to third.

Chris Buzzell advanced up the track, and during lap three he headed to the inside of turn three and passed Norton for third. Adam Chadbourne also moved up the track from the back of the pack. Chadbourne and Buzzell raced for third for a lap. Chadbourne made the pass on the backstretch during lap four to secure third.

There was a caution during lap 12 and, on the ensuing restart, Chadbourne headed to the inside and passed Bailey on the inside of turn three for second. During lap 14 James Osmond passed Bailey for third. Osmond and Chadbourne battled for second place. Then, Chadbourne appeared to suffer a mechanical problem and slowed on the track. Osmond ran into him from behind. A caution was called. Both headed to the pits, but Osmond was able to make it back on the track. Chadbourne’s night was over. Bailey moved to second and Shawn Austin third.

Austin passed Bailey on the inside of the front stretch for second during lap 19. Race leaders remained the same until the finish. Nessmith placed first. It was Nessmith’s first career win. Nessmith was third in points coming into Saturday’s race, with 222. The points leader was Adam Chadbourne with 282. James Osmond was second with 272.

Austin finished second and Bailey third.

A modified exhibition was next, and the cars competed in a 20-lap feature race. Starting on the pole was Jeff Herbert. Behind him were Chad Binette and Richard Jordan.

The cars were well matched and raced in a pack for half the race. Then during lap 11, Binette headed inside and raced Herbert for first. Herbert maintained his lead. Binette looked for another chance. His chance came during lap 15 when he once again headed to the inside. This time Binette was able to complete the pass on the inside of turn one for first.

Jordan passed Herbert on the inside of turn two for second during lap 16. Race leaders remained constant until the race's conclusion. Binette placed first.

Jordan placed second and Herbert rounded out the top three.

A New England Four Cylinder Pro Stock race was next. Eleven cars competed in an action-packed 25-lap race. Starting on the pole was Kamren Knowles. Behind him was Bob Patten and James Bailey. During lap one Bailey headed to the pits and John Shorey moved to third.

Starting in seventh position was points leader Jeff Prindall. Prindall was driving a car which sustained heavy damage from his heat race run-in with the turn two wall. Prindall moved to the outside and made his way to fourth by the conclusion of the first lap. During lap two, Prindall passed Shorey on the outside of turn one for third. There was a caution during lap two, and when racing resumed, Patten and Prindall raced side by side for second. It was not until lap six that Prindall was able to complete the pass and claim second. Kamren Knowles had gained a commanding 10-car lead on the track, and spent the remainder of the race looking in his rear view mirror watching the pack try to catch up.

Ryan Hayes moved up to challenge Patten for third, and after a brief battle, Hayes passed Patten on the inside of turn two for third. Hayes was not able to hold onto the spot though, giving it up the following lap to Chuck Harris. After Harris completed the pass, he headed up the track to challenge Prindall. Prindall and Harris raced side by side, but during lap eight the pair made contact, Harris moved up the track, leaving an opening for Craig Dunn. Dunn moved into third place, and Prindall kept second.

A determined Dunn chased Prindall around the track, and eventually caught him, and passed on the inside of turn two during lap 11. Hayes nipped at the heels of Prindall, and Hayes passed Prindall on the outside of turn two during lap 22 for third.

Kamren Knowles drove his car under the checkered for the victory, for his first career win. In second was Dunn. Hayes placed third. Prindall was the points leader coming into Saturday’s race with 278. In second was Kamren Knowles with 250, while Bob Patten was third at 214.

A 30-lap Pro Stock feature was next. The race was exciting, and filled with plenty of action. Starting at the pole was Bill Penfold. Mike Orr and Maggie Ferland were behind him. There was a roar of engines as the cars began to race. Penfold, Orr, and Ferland were racing in a pack. Coming up from behind was Bill Pinkham, Nick Hinkley, and Dylan Turner.

Race leaders provided no openings in what proved to be a close quarter race. Hinkley was in fourth and looked to pass Ferland. Hinkley dogged Ferland for several laps, then during lap 12 he got the nose onto the inside line, but Ferland came down and the pair made contact and spun on the track. They went to the back of the pack and Pinkham moved to third. Pinkham headed to the inside and passed Orr for second during lap 12. Turner followed Pinkham and passed Orr for third.

Hinkley did not stay at the back long. Lap 13 saw Hinkley again in the top five, and Hinkley passed Turner on the inside of turn one for third. Hinkley powered up the track and passed Pinkham on the outside of turn two for second during lap 18. Hinkley looked for an opportunity to pass Penfold. Penfold hugged the bottom and Hinkley could not find an opening. Hinkley headed to the top of the track and moved up aside Penfold. For five laps Penfold and Hinkley fought for the lead. Hinkley gained advantage and took the lead, only to have Penfold reclaim the lead. Then, during lap 24, Penfold and Hinkley made contact on the back stretch causing a caution. Both spun and were sent to the back. Pinkham moved to first, Turner second and Orr third.

On the restart, James Osmond passed Orr on the outside of turn two for third. Behind the leaders were Penfold and Hinkley. Neither driver wanted to be at the back. Hinkley sped through lap traffic, Penfold hot on his heels. The crowd was cheering eagerly as they watched the duo make their way back to the top five. Hinkley passed Osmond on the outside of the back stretch during lap 25 for third. Hinkley was tearing up the track, passing Turner on the inside of turn three during lap 27 for second. Penfold was right behind Hinkley and passed Turner on the inside of turn one during lap 28 for third. Hinkley tried to catch Pinkham, the race leader, but Pinkham held him off until the finish.

Pinkham flew under the checkered in first. Hinkley was .35 seconds behind him, and Penfold placed third, only one second behind the race leader. Coming into Saturday’s race Orr was points leader with 270. Hinkley was second with 266 and Penfold third at 258.

Pinkham raced last week in the Late Model Sportsman Division, and was runner-up in that race. He made changes to his car to race Pro Stock for the first time this season.

The Spotlighted race of the week was a 35-lap Outlaw Mini feature. This division has been highly-competitive and has seen five different winners in the first five races of the season. Starting at the pole was Matt Moore. George Fortin and Ryan Glover were behind him. When the green flag flew, Fortin immediately passed Moore for the lead. Glover headed inside and passed Moore for second on the inside of turn two during lap one.

Starting in seventh position was Shawn Kimball. Kimball had advanced up the track and passed Moore on the inside of turn three during lap six for third. Kimball tried to hold off Jimmy Childs who had moved from the back of the pack. Kimball left a small opening during lap eight, and Childs slid inside and passed on turn two for third.

There was a caution during lap 16. After the caution was called Childs developed mechanical issues and headed to the pits. Calvin Rose Jr. moved to third. Childs was able to make it back on the track before the caution was over. When action resumed on the track Rose passed Glover on the outside of turn one for second.

Childs again moved through traffic. He caught the race leaders and passed Glover for third on the inside of turn one during lap 30. There were three cautions during lap 33. During the caution, Rose had to pit due to mechanical issues. Childs moved to second and Glover moved back into third place.

On the restart, Glover got a good jump off the start. Childs left the door open, and Glover slid into second. Childs fought to gain the position back. The pair raced furiously around the track but Glover was able to hold him back. Then, with only one lap remaining, Childs headed to the inside of turn two and moved along side of Glover. They raced down the back stretch, Glover still in the lead, then headed into turn three side by side. Still neck and neck, the duo headed into turn four. Childs crept ahead by a nose and then roared ahead on the front stretch, passing Glover for second just before the finish.

Fortin claimed firs, Childs second and Glover rounded out the top three. Fortin became the sixth different winner in the Outlaw Mini Division this season. In the points standings, Childs was in first with 252 coming into Saturdays’ race. In second was Shawn Kimball with 246 and third was Nate Tribbet with 232.

The individual June 28 results were:

Outlaw Mini (35 laps) — 1, George Fortin, Greene; 2, Jimmy Childs, Leeds; 3, Ryan Glover, Mexico; 4, Nate Tribbet, Richmond; 5, Butch Keene, Turner; 6, Chris Blanchard, Clinton; 7, Dixon Smith, Sidney; 8, Calvin Rose Jr, Turner; 9, Shane Kaherl, Jay; 10, Mike Mason, Skowhegan; 11, Matt Moore, Mechanic Falls; 12, Nick Bissell, Lewiston; and 13, Shawn Kimball, Augusta

Pro Stock (30 laps) — 1, Bill Pinkham. Wiscasset; 2, Nick Hinkley, Wiscasset; 3, Bill Penfold, Oxford; 4, Dylan Turner, Freedom; 5, James Osmond, Woolwich; 6, Mike Orr, Wiscasset; 7, Maggie Ferland, Auburn; and 8, Matt Sanborn, Westbrook.

NAPA Super Street (25 laps) — 1, Dan Nessmith, Wiscasset; 2, Shawn Austin, Norridgewock; 3, Josh Bailey. Wiscasset; 4, Zach Poland, Woolwich; 5, James Osmond, Wiscasset; 6, Kevin Morse, Woolwich; 7, Travis Dunbar, Auburn; 8, Jamie Norton, Farmingdale; 9, Adam Chadbourne, Woolwich; 10, Chris Buzzell, Madison; and 11, Paul Hopkins, Camden.

New England 4-Cylinder Pro Stock (25 laps) — 1, Kamren Knowles, West Gardiner; 2, Craig Dunn, Strong; 3, Ryan Hayes, Jefferson; 4, Chuck Harris, Wiscasset; 5, Jeff Prindall, Lisbon Falls; 6, Bob Patten, Westbrook; 7, John Shorey, Alna; 8, Nathan McWilliams, Lewiston; 9, Cameron Folsom, Augusta; 10, Brooke Knowles, West Gardiner; and 11, James Bailey, Alna.

Modified (20 laps) — 1, Chad Binette, Dayton; 2, Richard Jordan, Kingfield; and 3, Jeff Herbert, no town given.

Lisa Maguire writes for Wiscasset Speedway.