A camper was destroyed after a rechargeable battery pack for a remote control car ignited a seat cushion June 29 at the campground at Beaver Lodge.

The fire broke out at about 8:30 p.m. in a 1998 tow-behind camper, owned by Andrew Carter of South Thomaston, according to Hope Fire Chief Clarence Keller.

Keller said a couple of other people at the campground were able to extinguish the fire before the fire department arrived, but the heat and smoke damage was enough to consider the camper a total loss. It was destroyed on the inside, he said.

"Anything we plug in to charge, whether it be cellphones, rechargeable batteries or a battery pack, should be kept on a hard surface," Keller said noting when an electronic item is placed on a cushion or other soft surface it does not have enough air circulation and can overheat.

The state Fire Marshals Office was called — as Keller said he does for every fire — but after hearing the details, the Fire Marshals Office determined no further investigation was needed. The fire was not suspicious, Keller said.

Courier Publications Copy Editor Kim Lincoln can be reached at 594-4401 or by email at klincoln@villagesoup.com.