The Friendship Museum, located at 1 Martin Point Road in Friendship, is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year.

The red brick schoolhouse was built in 1851 and was used as a classroom until 1923. Friendship Village School opened in 1924. In 1927, Dr. Randall Condon (a renowned educator and Friendship native) bought the schoolhouse from the town of Friendship and restored it in memory of his mother, Hanna Condon, who was the first teacher there. Dr. Condon’s grandson, Randy Foster, inherited the building and, along with several other Friendship residents, created the Museum of Friendship. The museum opened June 14, 1964.

There will be several events commemorating the anniversary this summer. June 28 at 1 p.m. is Opening Day at the Schoolhouse. There will be a special celebration commemorating the Schoolhouse Museum’s 50th anniversary. Refreshments will be served.

July 12 at 1 p.m., there will be “A Day in the Brick Schoolhouse.” Cindy Wallace, retired Friendship Village School teacher, and local students will reenact a day in a one-room schoolhouse in the 1800s. This event will take place at the Hahn Community Center in Friendship.

Finally, on Sept. 17, Maine State Historian Earle Shettleworth will speak about “Maine Schoolhouses and Child Life.” This event also will be at the Hahn Community Center in Friendship, at 7 p.m.

For more information about these events and about the museum, please visit our website at Our email address is