Linwood “Pete” Smith, born to Janet and Calvin Smith on Oct. 13, 1946, passed peacefully away at home April 16, 2013.

Pete lived his whole life in Tenants Harbor. He was a true native son who was so thankful to grow up here when he did.

It literally took a village to raise Pete. A self-proclaimed “wharf rat," he was always underfoot watching, listening, then copying what he learned from the “old guys” as they worked on fishing gear and talked amongst themselves. Determined to get a ride in Hugo Lehtinen’s plane, he laid across the ramp until Hugo tired of stepping over him. He used the same method in the middle of Main Street in Tenants Harbor so that Harlan “Pete” Black would stop and give him a ride in one of his big trucks. And so, at the age of 6 he renamed himself Pete.

He was a walking oral history of the village and the people he knew and grew up with. Pete was fearless. As a boy, through observation, he taught himself to sail and row and could be seen in the middle of the harbor testing his new skills in borrowed boats, then he learned to swim. Skating on the marsh was a lifelong good time! He was a competitive athlete, be it baseball, basketball, ice hockey, or a few good runs down an icy slope. A round of golf from Maine to Vietnam was always satisfying.

Uncle Sam found Pete swimming in the quarry and he was drafted into the Army where he expected to be in the Infantry but instead was sent to aviation school where he taught a class on helicopter rotor heads for a short time. Then, he was sent to Vietnam and eventually became a crew chief on a helicopter gun ship. He turned 21 while stationed in Pleiku. After he came home, he went to school in Boston for three years on the GI Bill, but decided it was more lucrative to get back on the water, fishing.

Pete worked on boats, ran boats for others and then bought Whistler to fish for himself. After seven years, he decided to try other things but never ventured far from the water. Once again, fishing called to him and he bought Whistler back in 2000 and returned to lobstering. He need a sternman and hired a “trainee” he noticed on Red Miller’s boat. Her name was Deanna and she became his 55th birthday present on their wedding day 11 months later. They enjoyed a deep love and partnership in whatever they did and wherever they went.

Traditions were important to Pete and in 2003, to celebrate his town’s 200th anniversary, he brought back the tradition of dropping the wreath by plane over Tenants Harbor at the start of the Memorial Day parade in honor of our veterans.

Pete and Deanna made three trips back to Vietnam and each one, especially the first, was one of healing and discovery. They “adopted” an orphanage in Kontum in support of the Montagnard people Pete came to know while he was stationed there. On the second visit, Pete and Deanna visited a mine-cleaning project in Quang Tri and they provided technical equipment to keep the project going. Pete spoke to everyone to learn and experience the different customs and cultures in the many countries he visited. And, he always found a boat to ride on to get out on the water!

Pete loved music and boy, could he dance! He came to enjoy opera and ballet at the Met in New York and for 10 years he never missed a concert or road trip with Down East Singers, always supporting Deanna in her singing.

Pete was always compassionate, generous and the first to offer assistance in some way and he used the Whistler to help raise funds at benefits and to provide transportation for town committee projects. A selectman for three years, he sometimes played devil’s advocate if he thought it would help to see both sides of an issue clearly and fairly. He applied that fairness to the board of the St. George Sailing School by helping to ensure that the local children had an equal and affordable chance to learn how to sail. Through his encouragement and support in the 12 Step Program, he helped several people attain the better life as he had.

Pete loved the phone and kept in touch with family and friends regularly. Or, on his almost daily “down around” he’d check things out personally, usually with the dogs in the back of the truck. They loved to go for rides with Papa, accepting cookies at regular stops.

As we recount shared adventures and experiences with Pete during his lifetime, hold close his endearing character, his incredible smile, his Elvis voice and his gregarious nature. They far outweigh the tempers he struggled to keep to the side. He will be so deeply missed.

Pete was predeceased by his parents, his brother Marvin “Ike” Smith and his sister, Judy Smith. He is survived by his wife and best friend Deanna, his daughter Fletcher, who added light to his life, and her husband Samuel B. Hall. They gave Papa his granddaughter, Charley Natalie, in time for his 65th birthday party.

Also, his brother Roger and wife Diane, brother Wayne and his wife Janet, sisters Carolyn MacMillan, Pat McKirdy, Cindy Link and her husband Joe and their families of nieces and nephews and son, Dylan Urqhardt.

Also, his many lifelong friends near and far and more recent ones who hold him dearly in their hearts. His Samoset family who enjoyed the post workout discussions and visits in the member’s lounge and his fellow pilots wherever their planes gathered.

As Pete wished, there will be no service. Instead, there will be a farewell gathering on his dock on States Point Road in Tenants Harbor Sunday morning, May 26. We’ll celebrate Pete and realize the great loss of those who love him. Courage.