A fire that started in the attic of a large captain-style house on Gleason Street caused an estimated $25,000 worth of damage to the home March 28.

The homeowners evacuated the house and called 911, said Thomaston Fire Chief Michael Leo.

Homeowner Mark Lewis became aware of the flames in the attic after his wife told him she smelled smoke and heard a crackling noise at about 10 p.m.

Leo said firefighters did a good job extinguishing the fire, which had been burning for some time before crews arrived. Mutual aid from South Thomaston and Rockland was requested as the house is so large and includes a barn, he said.

Leo said the cause of the fire is electrical and added damage to the house is extensive in the bathroom, bedroom and attic.

Crews were on scene until after midnight, he said.

The Lewis family is unable to return home at this time as there is no power, Leo said.

Courier Publications reporter Juliette Laaka can be reached at 594-4401 ext. 118 or via email at jlaaka@courierpublicationsllc.com.