Quick action by a Union firefighter helped to save a Union antiques business from complete loss when fire broke out in the early morning hours March 15.

Shortly after midnight, Randy Scott was coming home from working the night shift at Bath Iron Works when he noticed flames coming from a Cape-style home at 152 Marrs Hill Road, according to Union Fire Chief Barry Norris.

The home is owned by Barbara and John Worden of Union. The Wordens do not live in the home, but use it for storage for their antiques business, Norris said.

Scott spotted the blaze when it was on the first floor level, but the fire quickly traveled up a partition in an outside wall, causing significant structural damage to the rear of the house and heavy smoke damage throughout, Norris said.

"It had a good head start," Norris said of the blaze before firefighters arrived.

However, Norris touted automatic mutual aid response from Warren, Hope, Appleton, Washington and Waldoboro for working together to put the fire out.

Norris said about 40 firefighters were on the scene until about 7 a.m.

He estimated damages at $150,000 between the house and the contents. He said many of the antiques are likely salvageable.

The home is insured.

Courier Publications Copy Editor Kim Lincoln can be reached at 594-4401 or by email at klincoln@courierpublicationsllc.com.