A 22 year-old Washington man was sentenced to 90 days in jail for an incident in late 2011 that included a prolonged struggle to resist arrest.

Tony Bartlett pleaded guilty to assault on an officer, obstructing government administration, refusing to submit to arrest, endangering the welfare of a child and disorderly conduct in March 2012.

He received a deferred sentence of 364 days in jail with all but 90 days suspended and was sentenced Feb. 27.

In December 2011, Knox County Sheriff's Deputy Michael Sprague responded to Bartlett's Washington residence after dispatch received a call there was a domestic disturbance between Bartlett and a woman and that an infant was involved, according to court documents.

Upon arrival, Sprague was allowed into the entryway of the home by Bartlett's father and saw Bartlett holding his 6-month-old son in his arms. The officer said Bartlett became aggressive, blocked the officer's path and said that he could not come in to talk to his girlfriend about the reason for the call.

Eventually, Bartlett allowed his girlfriend to step outside the house to talk to the officer but the officer stood in the doorway to keep an eye on the suspect. Bartlett then tried to slam the door on Sprague, striking his foot and leg. The officer then informed Bartlett that he was under arrest and asked him to give the baby to someone else in the house.

Bartlett refused, according to the police report, and the officer said he felt that the suspect was using the baby as a shield.

Bartlett reportedly refused to submit to arrest and Sprague sprayed a burst of pepper spray to no avail. The officer then used a Taser and three times shocked the suspect who eventually rolled onto his stomach to be handcuffed. One hand was cuffed when he resisted again and the officer administered another jolt but by this time the wires to the probe were broken and Sprague had to reload with another cartridge and zap him again.

After another dose of pepper spray, the officer was able to get the cuffs on Bartlett but the suspect continued to resist and the man's father helped the officer hold Bartlett down until Deputy David Johnson arrived.

Bartlett was taken to Pen Bay Medical Center in Rockport where it was confirmed the suspect had taken the hallucinogenic synthetic drug bath salts. He later apologized to the officer.

Courier Publications reporter Juliette Laaka can be reached at 594-4401 ext.118 or via email at jlaaka@courierpublicationsllc.com.