One of the nicest and most popular men in Camden was A. Burton Stevenson Jr. He was born in here on April 6, 1905, the son of A. Burton Stevenson and Minnie Gould Stevenson. They also had a daughter, Vira, who married Clarence Thomas and another son, Harold, who lived in Massachusetts.

Burt, as he was called, graduated from Camden High School in the class of 1922. He was always very active in the Camden High School Alumni Association beginning in 1925 as its vice-president. He was elected to that office for the next three years and later was president. When his class was to have its 50th reunion, Burt planned one of the best ones ever. He thought of all kinds of activities for his class, including boat rides and everything nice he could think of. He had a lovely program printed for them in their class colors, which I believe was green and white. Burt could make arrangements and get things done in the finest manner.

On Oct. 20, 1926, Burt married Lucy Piper, daughter of Willis Nathaniel and Minerva Barnes Piper of Rockport. She was born there Jan. 30, 1903, and was a 1921 graduate of Rockport High School. She was captain of the state championship girls’ basketball team. She attended a Portland business school and worked as a bookkeeper a few years for Central Maine Power Co. They had a son, Robert Alfred Stevenson and a daughter, Helen, who married Paul Putnam.

Burt Stevenson was president of the Talbot-Stevenson Insurance Agency for about 36 years.

In 1928, McDougall-Ladd and Chandler Co. was an insurance business opened in the Montgomery Block with H.N. McDougall, president; Marcus Chandler, vice-president and A. Burton StevensonJr., treasurer. Five years later, Burt purchased the agency. In December 1936, he acquired an interest in Talbot Agency and combined Stevenson Agency to form the Talbot-Stevenson Insurance Agency at 12 Main St. At one point, in later years, Walter Wadsworth joined him. In 1963, he was awarded a merit winner of the Independent Insurance Association of Maine. Burt carried on this business the rest of his life. Whenever there was an accident, he was always there to help.

On Nov. 13, 1946, there was an accident on Main Street and Burt went rushing out to help, only to find it was his son who was killed as a result of a collision between the motorcycle Robert was riding when he collided with a vehicle at the intersection of Tannery Lane and Main Street. Eighteen-year-old Robert Stevenson had left school in his junior year to go into the Navy, where he received his discharge the past summer and had re-entered Camden High School to graduate the following spring. The automobile was making a left-hand turn onto Tannery Lane from Main Street, when Robert Stevenson was coming down Harbor Hill past Camden Public Library. Two doctors from Camden and the emergency ambulance crew were immediately there, but he died shortly after arrival at Camden Community Hospital. A military committal service was held at Oak Hill Cemetery.

A. Burton Stevenson Jr., was many things to many people. He was a great bowler and in 1926 won a $5 gold piece for the high single score at Y.M.C.A. bowling. In 1944 there was a great match with “Tige” Richardson and Phil Grover bowling against Burt Stevenson and George Boynton. That was the best against the best. The latter two won the 20 string match by only 33 pins.

Burt was institutional representative of Troop 200 of the Boy Scouts. He was a vice-president of Camden Community Hospital at Mountain Street. It began in 1927 and was, during the first year, free of debt. He continued this office for the following two years and then was president.

He was active in the Masonic Amity Lodge, elected treasurer in 1929, for several years. In 1932 he became senior warden. In 1937, he was senior warden in the Camden Commandery, Knights Templer 23 and in 1939 Burt was elected as Eminent Commander.

He was also secretary of the Board of Trade (before we had a Chamber of Commerce) in 1934 for a few years. Burt was past-president of the Camden Y.M.C.A. and chairman of its building fund. He was most active in First Congregational Church of Camden as a deacon for many years and also its president. You can add to the above: president of the P.T.A., Camden Businessmen’s Club, Camden Men’s Choir, as well offices in the Rotary Club. He was a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge, past patron of Harbor Light, Order of Eastern Star in Rockport; a director of the Depositors Trust; president of the Home for Aged Women (now 63 Washington St.) and active in the Republican Caucus.

Burt Stevenson’s services do not end there. When the American Legion had Minstel Shows, Burt was one of them in the 1930s. The NAACP does not allow it now. When Tibbetts Industries was founded from Tibbetts’ Laboratories, he was a director. They issued 4,000 shares of common stock at a par value of $25.

During the World War II years, there was a control center in the town office. A classmate and I would walk the darken Camden streets, to arrive for duty at 4 a.m., until 8 a.m. Burt would show up sometimes at 5 a.m. and even brought his record player down so we would have some entertainment. Then again in 1947, the control center was placed on alert because of all the fires in Maine, and some really large ones in Bar Harbor. Burt was in charge of Camden Control Center.

There were many other things that A. Burton Stevenson Jr., volunteered for to help his friends and community.

It was a very sad day June 8, 1964. The 59-year-old man that everyone loved, drove to a quarry in Rockport. He neatly folded his suit coat, placed it on the seat in his car, jumped in the quarry and drowned.

The whole town mourned and his funeral was at his beloved First Congregational Church with Rev. Edward Manning, a Camden native, officiating. Burial was at Oak Hill Cemetery with his son Robert. His wife Lucy, whom everyone also loved, died Nov. 8, 1990. Rev. Archie McRee officiated.

The next article will be a history of an interesting family that dates back to the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.