When Karen Cochran’s barn on Clement Point Road in Warren began burning Jan. 15, brothers Adrien and Nick Williams were next door, visiting their grandfather. At first, when Adrien, 7, and Nick, 4, tried to alert grandfather Keith Smalley, he told them it was probably someone burning brush. But the boys persisted and finally persuaded Smalley to go to the window, where he saw the barn burning.

South Thomaston Fire Chief Bryan Calderwood was working at Knox Regional Communications Center that day. He said March 2 that the call Smalley made to 911 saved Cochran’s 200-year-old house and possibly others in the neighborhood.

Calderwood made his comments at the St. George School’s monthly community meeting, at which students share projects, awards and other special events. As mother Nicole Williams and father Doug Williams looked on, the boys received certificates of recognition and medals.

“I’m pretty proud of them,” said Nicole Williams. She said she enrolled Adrien at St. George School because that is where she grew up. Nick attends Pen Bay Christian School.

Cochran credited the boys’ swift action and persistence with saving her home.

“They are heroes, that should be acknowledged for their actions,” she said.