Coast Guard Station Rockland reported the following activity.

Sept. 9

At 1:50 p.m. Station Rockland received a radio call on Channel 16 from the sailing vessel Isaac H. Evans about assistance with a person who was having an allergic reaction to seasickness pills and needed medical attention. The station’s officer of the day contacted Rockland Emergency Medical Services for assistance and requested they ride with Station Rockland’s small boat out to the schooner. At 2:16 p.m. the response boat got underway with a three-person boat crew and two EMS personnel to render assistance.

At 2:18 p.m., Isaac H. Evans contacted the response boat to find out if they should administer Benadryl to the patient while they were waiting for the Coast Guard and EMS to arrive. The EMS providers told those aboard the schooner that they could administer the Benadryl if they were certain that the patient was suffering from an allergic reaction.

The response boat arrived on scene at 2:53 p.m. and transferred the patient and his son for the transit back to Rockland Harbor. At 3:48 p.m. the response boat moored up to the Coast Guard’s pier, where a local ambulance was standing by.

Sept. 12

At 1:10 p.m., Station Rockland received a phone call from the owner of a 20-foot skiff who had suffered engine trouble and was dead-in-the-water. The skiff was 200 yards off the southern side of Pleasant Island and drifting rapidly toward shore.

The station’s officer of the day asked the skiff’s operator to set the boat’s anchor while they waited for assistance. The owner notified the station that he was able to successfully anchor the skiff, but he then lost communication with the station.

A response boat was diverted from another mission to assist, because the station couldn’t verify the safety of the vessel and crew without continued communications. At 1:30 p.m., the station was able to reestablish communications with the skiff and determined that the anchor was still holding, but the vessel was still in distress.

The response boat continued on and arrived on scene at 1:58 p.m.  The seas were 2 to 3 feet with 10 knots of wind. The coxswain, BM2 Josh Nazworth, decided to take the vessel into stern tow and head for Tenants Harbor. At 2:50 p.m., they reached the harbor, and the response boat took the skiff into side tow and safely moored it to a local dock.

The Herald Gazette can be reached at 207-236-8511 or by email at