Once upon a time, the Town of Camden owned Sherman’s Point. It was a wonderful picnic area and sometimes a “parking” spot for the young lovers. It was there in the early 1900s and maybe some years before. During the Great Depression families spent Sundays together. Money was tight and few children had bicycles. Skate boards were unheard of. Families spent Sundays together so many had a picnic on Sherman’s Point. The only cost was for the food, and the family had to eat, so a picnic made fun for everyone. Climbing on rocks, playing in the sand and swimming in the cold salt water added more pleasure.

In the late 1930s, friends of ours came from Massachusetts to visit their grandmother for a few weeks, and their grandfather was kind enough to loan us his rowboat tied up at the Public Landing. We gathered an iron skillet, raw potatoes, Milky Ways and Moxie and five of us rowed to Sherman’s Point. With a line, hook and a few angle worms we caught flounders all along the way. We were warned not to move around in the boat, but we all could swim, so it was fun to rock the boat and change seats.

If the tide was low we could tie the skiff on Sherman’s Point to a tree and jump the rocks to “Mouse Island.” There the boys cleaned the flounders, while we sliced the potatoes and then fried them together in the iron skillet. What a treat. As the tide came in, we had to scurry across the rocks, while we could, to get to the boat without getting wet feet or more.

It was rumored that as the residents paid the tax bills once a year, the town was sometimes short on money for the departments and had to borrow, paying interest. One resident said he had made his money, and would loan the town, free of interest, money for payrolls, as long as they kept Sherman’s Point. He died in 1941 and Sherman’s Point was sold.

Now I shall get to Who’s Who at Mountain View Cemetery, and of course it is about the Sherman family.

If you are named Tom, Dick or Harry, be thankful. The last article was about Dr. Bisbee and he carried the name of Deplura for a lifetime; however, he did not name any of his sons that. It was a different story with the Sherman family.

Joseph Sherman, Sr., was born on Feb. 23, 1754 in Marshfield, Mass., and came to Camden about 1780. He was the son of Ignatius and Abigail (Chapman) Sherman. He was a yeoman and a Revolutionary War soldier. In 1776, Joseph was a private in Captain Josiah Turner’s Company, Colonel John Cushing’s Regiment who marched in December to Providence on alarm. He spent 17 days in service.

Joseph married Sylvesta Josselyn on July 26, 1780 from Pembroke. They had the following children: Wealthy, who lived only a few weeks; Joseph, Jr.;  as well as Nancy, Henry, Almeraine, Cyrus and (you guessed it) Ignatius.

After Sylvesta died around 1835, he married Anna Sartelle.

Joseph, Sr., bought up several parcels of land. In 1786, he bought from Peletiah Corthell land in Megunticook (Camden).The next year he made an agreement with Henry Knox and settlers of Canaan (Lincolnville) and Ducktrap relating to their lots .He followed in a year with a warranty deed from Henry and Lucy Knox for property in Camden. In 1799, he had a deed from Tilson Gould and Melzar Curtis house wrights. For $70 he purchased “one undivided seventy-fifth part of a one-half acre of land” when Camden’s first meeting house was built and he reserved Pew 15. In 1800, Joshua and Lemuel Dillingham, along with Joseph Sherman and others, had secured large tracts of land farther up the shore. He bought and sold quite a bit of land. Then, in later years, he sold tracts of land to Joseph, Jr.

Joseph Sherman, Sr., applied for a pension and with proper proof he finally was entitled to “Twenty-Three cents per annum, during his natural life, commencing the 4th day of March 1831 and payable semi-annually of the 4th of September every year.“ That is correct, 23 cents a year.
Joseph, Sr., lived to be 93 years of age and died leaving the following will:
“1846 January 29 Date of will Joseph Sherman yeoman of Camden proved June 1847.

“He bequeathed to Anna Sherman, who has lived with me as my wife for a long time and still lives with me at the date above written under the name of Anna Sherman aforesaid, one thousand and fifty dollars and my household furniture except articles hereinafter bequeathed to my daughter Nancy Jones wife of Samuel Jones and my son Almeraine; to son Ignatius Sherman bank stock; to son Joseph Sherman, Jr., $10; to my son Henry Sherman $10; to son Almeraine, real estate; to daughter Nancy Jones certain personal property; residue to son Almeraine for his support and at the time of his death any balance divided between son Ignatius and daughter Nancy Jones; son Ignatius to be executor. It was ordered by the court hath $4.00 per month be paid in consequence of the sickness of Almeraine.” (Waldo County Probate book 18: page 550)

Ignatius Sherman was born in Camden on Oct. 11, 1798. He bought what was known as the Isaac Morse farm, extending from the end of “Sherman’s Point” to near the top of Megunticook Mountain. There was a large field on the farm facing Sherman’s Cove, once known as the “Craig Fields”, and they say it was the first field cleared in Camden. Deacon Morse was a staunch Baptist, and this cove was where the baptisms were performed.
Ignatius married Elethea Graffam and they were parents of eight children: Sarah (married William Ladd); Anna (married Jonas Gleason);Helen (married George Waterhouse); Cyrus; Oliver; Jacob; Emma; and Mary (married Wilder Perry).

Their home was some distance from the Belfast Road on Sherman’s Point. Ignatius died at the age of 72 on Oct. 24, 1870.Many of the above mentioned Shermans and their wives are buried at Mountain View.

Sandy Delano, friend and genealogist, was kind enough to share some of his research for this article.