Coast Guard Station Rockland reported the following activity.

July 4

At 1:45 p.m. Station Rockland received a radio call from a 22-foot Grady White, the Whilie E., on channel 16 VHF-FM stating that they were disabled and needed a tow. The Whilie E. was just off the southwestern tip of North Haven Island, and wasn’t in any immediate danger.

Sector Northern New England issued a marine assistance request broadcast for the vessel at 1:57 p.m., but before the sector received a response to the broadcast, they lost radio communications with the Whilie E. and requested that Station Rockland launch a small boat to assist. Sector Northern New England reestablished communications via cell phone, and a motor life boat was launched at 2:16 p.m. with a 4-person crew to provide assistance to the vessel. The motor life boat arrived on scene at 3:04 p.m.

The weather conditions were as follows: seas 1 to 2 feet, winds calm, and visibility 25 yards. The motor life boat’s coxswain and crew assessed the situation and determined that it was safe to tow the Whilie E. back to Rockland Harbor. The motor life boat took the vessel into stern tow and began transiting back to the harbor at 3:20 p.m. At 4:10 p..m. the motor life boat and Whilie E. reached Rockland Harbor, and the motor life boat transitioned the disabled vessel into a side tow for mooring. At 4:24 p.m. the motor life boat safely moored the Whilie E. to the Rockland Public Landing and returned to the station.

July 9

At 3:09 p.m. Sector Northern New England notified Station Rockland that they received report of an 8-foot dingy adrift in the north end of Western Penobscot Bay near Marshall Point. Station Rockland’s communications room watch stander called local harbormasters in Belfast, Searsport, and Isleboro to see if they could help locate and identify adrift dingy. A motor life boat was diverted from another mission at 3:23 p.m. to search for the small craft.

At 4:06 p.m. the motor life boat found the unmanned dinghy by Ram Island and began taking preliminary action to determine who owned the small craft. The motor life boat crew relayed the hull identification number and the dinghy’s name to the station to search Coast Guard databases, and they took several pictures of the dinghy, which they forwarded onto the local harbormaster’s for review. The Coast Guard and area harbormasters were able to determine that the dingy belonged to the sailing vessel Aria and verify with Aria’s owner that the dingy had broken free with no persons on board. The motor life boat ‘s coxswain then developed a plan for returning the dinghy to its owner the next day and returned to the station with the small craft.