The town of Waldoboro (Waldoborough) was incorporated on June 29, 1773.

Happy 238th birthday, Waldoboro.

Check out the Historic Online Tour on the town’s website.

The following is from the 1859 book “A history and description of New England, general and local” by Austin Jacobs Coolidge and John Brainard Mansfield:

“Waldoborough, Lincoln county, on an arm of the sea, for many years called Broad Bay, was included within the Muscongus or Waldo Patent. It was settled, through the persevering efforts of Waldo and the other patentees and claimants, by Scotch-Irish and German emigrants, between 1733 and 1740. Shortly afterwards, the town was attacked by the Indians, and burned to ashes; and those not tomahawked were carried away captives. Immediately after the ratification of the treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle, in 1748, the settlement was revived; and, in 1752-3, Samuel Waldo, son of the General, visited Germany, and issued his proclamation, promising every emigrant, settling upon his father’s possessions, one hundred acres of land; and it is fair to presume, that, as an additional incentive to emigration, he promised them exemption from the grasping hand of capricious landlords, and a toleration of their religious and political opinions, untrammelled by priestly surveillance.

“Influenced by such encouraging prospects, about 1,500 people removed from Germany, and here lived in contiguous neighborhoods till 1763-4, when the lands on the west side of Muscongus river were claimed by Drowne, as being without Waldo’s Patent. They submitted to pay for their lands the next year, but very soon after the Brown claim was extended over the same lands. Upon the settlement of the Waldo heirs with the commonwealth of Massachusetts, they (the Waldo heirs) released all the lands on the west side of the river, and thus the German settlers planted there by Waldo were left without any indemnity or remuneration. Displeased with such treatment, and disappointed in their expectations, three hundred families sold their estates for the most they could obtain, and removed to the southwestern part of Carolina, where some of their German brethren had settled. There was, however, a large and flourishing community left on the spot, which was, in 1773, incorporated into a town, and named in honor of General Waldo. A Lutheran church was organized on the arrival of the German settlers, and a minister settled in 1762. In 1786, Waldoborough was made a shire town, and remained such till 1800, when the courts were removed to Wiscasset. Conrad Heyer, the first male citizen of Waldoborough, was born April 10, 1749, and died February 19, 1856, at the advanced age of 106 years, ten months, and nine days. He served in the Revolutionary war, and was wont to relate his adventures in that struggle with peculiar zest. His father was one of the emigrants brought over from Germany by General Waldo. He was buried on the 17th of June, 1856, with military honors. The funeral obsequies were largely attended, not only by the citizens of Waldoborough, but by those of adjoining towns, thus exhibiting the respect in which this venerable man was held.

“The surface is agreeably diversified. There are some good farms; but generally the soil is not very productive. Within the limits of Waldoborough are several islands, the names of which are Upper Narrows, Hog, Poland’s, Hadlock, Hungry, Otter, Jones’s, Garden, and several smaller ones. Farming, seafaring, and some little ship-building, engage the industrial energies of the people. The village was greatly injured by fire a few years since, but has been rebuilt. The new buildings evince much improvement upon the former ones. The town is drained by Muscongus river, which has a sufficient fall to be made available in propelling machinery. Waldoborough has a bank with a capital of $50,000; two post-offices—Waldoborough and North Waldoborough; six church edifices, — two Congregational, one Methodist, two Baptist, and one Lutheran; twenty-nine school districts, with thirty-two schools; fourteen ship-builders, two carriage builders, six saw-mills, three grist-mills, two carding-machines, one tannery, and two brickmakers. Population, 4,199 ; valuation, $941,088.”