Many families will head to the lake, ocean, or neighborhood pool to enjoy the summer sun with sunscreen, towels, a cell phone and other waterside must-haves. Water provides a refreshing relief from the summer heat, but what if a phone accidently jumps in with a person? Cell phones can help manage one’s life so people want to keep it safe and dry. E

If individuals do have a wet cell phone accident, U.S. Cellular shares some simple steps to help revive the phone:

Step 1: If the phone doesn’t turn off when it gets wet, power it down immediately. Once the power is off, remove the battery.

Step 2: Remove any skins, covers, or faceplates. Grab a towel and remove as much excess water from the phone as possible. If it is a flip phone, open it up so air can reach the keypad.

Step 3: The best thing to do is to leave the phone powered off for a few days to give the internal circuitry a chance to dry out. During this time, turn it over several times so that any water trapped inside can make it to the surface.

Step 4: It is very tempting to try and speed up the drying process with things like hairdryers, microwaves, space heaters, ovens, etc. However, the intensity of the heat may cause further damage to the phone’s internal circuitry. Placing it by a fan is a much better alternative to help the phone dry out.

 

Step 5: Once the battery is replaced, push the on button. If the phone turns on, breathe a sigh of relief, though it may be only temporary. Moisture damage signs may take time and symptoms might appear several weeks or months later. Check the keypad, as keys that stick or don’t work all the time are signs of permanent damage.

If one is around water a lot in the summer, it’s a good idea to purchase a waterproof bag or pouch to store the cell phone. Another option is putting the phone in a Ziploc bag and then inside a Tupperware container. It’s a low-cost way to protect the phone.