A Camden woman testified that she feared she was going to be murdered during a four-hour rape a year ago in her home at the hands of a man who worked for a landscaping company.

The trial of Bradley W. Lemay, 45, of Augusta began June 7 in Knox County Superior Court. The jury and two alternates were selected June 6.

Lemay was indicted in July 2010 for gross sexual assault, burglary, aggravated assault, criminal threatening, aggravated criminal trespass, and eluding an officer for a series of incidents that police said began June 8 and ended early June 9.

The Camden woman said she was upstairs at her home at about 9 p.m. when she heard her two dogs barking downstairs as if someone was at the door. When she got to the bottom of the stairs she saw a man she knew as Brad, who had done landscaping work at her properties, standing in the kitchen.

She said he appeared upset and within a second or two was up against her, holding a knife to her face and holding her arms behind her.

She said he forced her upstairs, and punched her in the face when she was in the bedroom.

Photographs of her swollen, bruised face were entered into evidence by the prosecution. Assistant District Attorney Chris Fernald is prosecuting the case.

Lemay is being represented by attorney Christopher MacLean of Camden.

The woman told the jurors that she cooperated with him throughout the four-hour ordeal.

“I was trying to connect with him, so that I would be the last person he would want to murder,” the woman said.

She said she feared that Lemay would murder her. The woman said Lemay threatened to kill her at the beginning of the ordeal and said he had killed before.

Lemay was released from Maine State Prison Feb. 12, 2010, less than four months before the June incident.

At his initial court appearance last year, the prosecution noted that Lemay served 21 years at the Maine State Prison for a 35-year sentence for gross sexual assault and kidnapping. Fernald said at the hearing last year that those cases in York County more than 21 years ago were similar to the Camden case. Lemay also has a juvenile record that includes seven burglaries and one rape. He spent time at the Maine Youth Center.

The Camden woman testified that eventually Lemay walked outside with her and apologized for his actions before driving away from her home. She immediately went inside the house and called 911.

Police eventually spotted Lemay’s vehicle and a chase began with speeds of up to 100 miles per hour, which ended when he lost control of the vehicle and went off the road into some shrubs by the Shore Village Apartments on Camden Street in Rockland, according to police.

In his cross-examination of the woman, MacLean questioned the victim about the details of the event and asked whether she had let Lemay into her home.

The trial is expected to last a week.

Justice Jeffrey Hjelm is presiding over the trial.