In 1936, Capt. Frank Swift began sailing the Schooner Mabel from Hobbs Lumber Wharf on Bayview Street. Maine Windjammer Cruises has been in continuous operation from Camden Harbor ever since.

Thanks to his idea of exchanging cargo for passengers, the era of the golden age of sail is alive and well in Camden. Capt. Ray and Ann Williamson, who are also celebrating their 25th year as owners, invite the public to a 75th anniversary celebration aboard Maine’s original windjammer fleet at the public landing in Camden.

On Sunday, June 12 from 5 to 7 p.m., Capt. Ray and Ann look forward to welcoming all aboard to raise a toast to the past 75 years and to the success of the next 75 years of “Keeping the Tradition Alive”. Light Maine fare will be served and guests are invited to tour two of Swifts original schooners, the Grace Bailey and Mercantile.

In commemoration of this landmark anniversary, Capt. Williamson has written a book, Maine Windjammer Cruises “Keeping the Tradition Alive,” a pictorial history of the company’s vessels from the early cargo days to the present. The 11-inch by 14-inch hardcover book is filled with the history of Maine Windjammer Cruises and more than 100 full-page images of the fleet’s ships, captains and passengers. There will be a limited number of advance copies available for purchase which Capt. Ray will be happy to sign during the open house.

This event is open to the public and no purchase is necessary.

Passengers who sail with Maine Windjammer Cruises this season will receive a complimentary, signed copy of the book, and additional copies can be ordered by emailing sail@mainewindjammercruises or contact the office at 800-736-7981.