The C.N. Brown service station on Main Street has closed.

The business closed May 14. “Closed for business” signs were taped to the pumps with yellow tape placed around the pumps. For sale signs were placed on the building.

C.N. Brown’s corporate office in South Paris has not returned two telephone messages seeking comment that had been left since May 14.

C.N. Brown has owned the garage since 1988, according to city assessment records.

The building was constructed in 1951 but a gasoline station has been at that site since at least 1939, according to the city directories. Over the years the name of the station has changed from Elmer’s Texaco in the 1970s and early 1980s, Eddie’s Texaco in the mid-1960s, and Joe Godfrey’s Texaco in 1962.

The city has the 0.22-acre lot and 1,296-square-foot building assessed at $183,500.