A 37-year-old Washington man, who police say set fire to a summer camp and his mother’s home before he hanged himself Tuesday night, May 10, was scheduled to be in court later this month in an effort to see his family.

The body of 37-year-old Robert Medeika was found hanging from a ridge pole on a nearby garage Tuesday evening after firefighters arrived at the fire scene on Medeika Lane, according to Maine Department of Public Safety Spokesman Steve McCausland.

The fire destroyed the camp, but damage to the mother’s house was minor. She was not at home, according to the public safety spokesman.

The Maine State Police bomb team was also called to the garage where the man’s body was found to examine a suspicious item inside that turned out to be harmless. According to McCausland, the bomb team’s involvement was a precaution following a previous police standoff with Medeika in which he placed a number of explosive devices on the property.

The Knox County Sheriff’s Office also was involved in the investigation during the night. The sheriff’s office was called to the scene at 9 p.m. on May 10.

Medeika had been arrested Oct. 17, 2009, after his mother called police to say her son had displayed a 2-foot piece of black metal, about 2 to 3 inches in diameter with a foot-long fuse, according to a Herald-Gazette story at that time.

He then lit the fuse while in the living room, put his head over the pipe and said it was going to be his mother’s fault that he was going to be killed. He had reportedly been drinking heavily and was depressed over not having a job and because he had not gotten any money from his father’s estate after he died in February.

When the fuse was down to a few inches from the pipe he extinguished it, his mother told police. She told police it was larger than a pipe bomb he had made when he was in Connecticut. He fled the home before police arrived but was located the next day and arrested. No bomb was located.

Medeika served a few years in prison for a 1995 conviction of making a bomb in Connecticut and two robbery convictions in 1995 and a burglary conviction in 2001.

A grand jury indicted Medeika in December 2009 for criminal use of explosives, possession of a firearm by a prohibited person, and terrorizing. At a bail hearing in 2009, his attorney Jeremy Pratt argued that jail was not the place for Medeika because his client suffered from mental illness.

He was convicted in May 2010 and sentenced to four years in jail with all but six months suspended. He was also placed on probation for 15 months.

He filed a motion earlier this year on his own to amend his probation. Under the change sought, Medeika wrote “to see my family!!!”

A hearing had been scheduled for May 25 in Knox County Superior Court on his motion.