A settlement has been reached in the lawsuit filed by an Owls Head man who was shot two years ago during the height of a lobstering territorial dispute off Matinicus Island.

Terms of the settlement have not been released in the lawsuit filed by Christopher Young and his wife, Kimberly Young, against Edwin “Vance” Bunker, his daughter Janan Miller and her husband, Alan Miller.

Calls were made to the attorneys for the parties but none have yet been returned. Terms of civil lawsuits filed by private individuals against other private individuals are generally not public unless the parties agree.

The lawsuit has been in mediation since last year. Attorney Patrick Coughlin, who was the mediator in the lawsuit, noted in December 2010 that some progress has been made in reaching a settlement.

The lawsuit was amended in December to allow the Youngs to claim that the defendants were either negligent or acted with reckless conduct. The addition of that claim could allow for insurance to cover the claims, according to court papers filed last year.

Young was 41 when he was shot by Bunker on July 20, 2009, on a dock on Matinicus. Young had originally sought to have $4 million in liens placed on the defendants’ properties. The lawsuit was filed a week after the shooting.

Both Bunker, 69, and his daughter Miller, 46, were acquitted by a jury in March 2010 on all criminal charges filed by the state in connection to the shooting.

There was no dispute during the five-day trial that Bunker had shot Chris Young in the neck on July 20 and that Janan Miller took a shotgun to the Steamboat Wharf. The issue in the trial was whether their actions were reasonable in the face of the confrontation that had developed with Young and his half-brother, Weston Ames, over claims of cutting lobster traps.

Bunker also fired a shot that narrowly missed Ames. And Bunker’s daughter, Janan Miller, twice pointed a shotgun at Ames and Young moments before the shooting.

Ames has also filed a lawsuit in the case against the three defendants. That case remains active.

At the March 2010 trial, Chris Young said he spent 18 days at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston and continued to receive physical therapy. He said he had little use of the fingers in his left hand and had problems with his left arm. He said he was able to operate his lobsterboat but did not expect he could work like he did before the shooting.

Young has been lobstering since he was 6 years old and planned to continue until he was 65 years old. He said in the lawsuit he averaged at least $100,000 per year for the past 10 years.