Maine State Police detectives arrested Charles Reed Black, 68, of Camden, Friday evening, April 15, upon his release from Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, charging him with aggravated assault following an intensive search and rescue on Mt. Megunticook a week ago.

Camden Police Chief Randy Gagne, who, along with Maine State Police detectives, is investigating the April 7 injuries of Black and his wife, Lisa, on Maiden Cliff, said Black has been charged with Aggravated Assault Class B.

Maine law states aggravated assault charges result if a person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes serious bodily injury to another; bodily injury to another with use of a dangerous weapon; bodily injury to another under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life. Class B crimes are punishable by up to 10 years incarceration and a $20,000 fine.

Black was taken into custody after release from the hospital at approximately 9:30 p.m. Black was transferred to Penobscot County Jail, according to Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland.

Charles Black and his wife, Lisa, have been at the Bangor hospital for a week after they were both airlifted with serious injuries sustained April 7 during a fall from Maiden Cliff, which rises approximately 800 feet above Route 52 and Lake Megunticook.

On April 14, Lisa M. Black, filed for protection from abuse in Sixth District Court of Rockland, alleging that her husband repeatedly struck her in the head with a rock and then pushed her over the edge on Maiden Cliff.

Judge Michael Westcott granted a temporary order for protection from abuse based on her written statement.

The wife said in her statement that she thought the Maiden Cliff incident was the second time her husband tried something like that.

“On April 7, 2011, Charles Reed Black hit me over the head with a rock three to four times,” she said in her statement. “He then pushed me over Maiden’s Cliff. This happened on Mount Megunticook. He then pursued me down the hill as I tried to escape and seek help,” she stated in the paperwork filed to obtain the court order. “I think this is his second attempt which also happened while hiking.”

Her statement does not elaborate on that allegation.

She said she wanted possession of their Camden home in her statement. The couple purchased the home in 2010, after moving to Camden from Kansas City, Missouri.

Gagne said that Camden police went to the home on April 15 and removed weapons. The court order prohibits Black from possessing any firearm or dangerous weapon.

A hearing for a more long-term protection from abuse order has been scheduled for May 5 in the Rockland court.

The judge’s order prohibits the husband from having any contact, direct or indirect, with his wife; prohibits from imposing any restrictions on her, harassing, threatening her; he is not allowed at their Marine Avenue home; and he is not allowed to follow her or be in the vicinity of her home, school, business, or place of employment without reasonable cause.

She also has sought possession of the home, its contents, including her jewelry, and her cat, Precious, during the term of the order.

State and local police have been investigating the matter since Lisa Black made her way down the mountain over the cliffs and rocks and was discovered by a driver along the road on April 7. She had been transported by ambulance to Penobscot Bay Medical Center, and flown to Eastern Maine Medical Center with head wounds.

A search involving local law enforcement and fire department volunteers then ensued for her husband, who was found a few hours later. Court paperwork does not state how he was injured.

At approximately 6:15 p.m., April 7, rescuers from the Maine State Warden Service, Lincolnville Fire Department and Camden First Aid succeeded in carefully lifting Charles Black down Mt. Megunticook to a waiting ambulance on Route 52, where he was transported to a LifeFlight helicopter at the Lincolnville Fire Department and flown to Eastern Maine Medical Center.

Search and rescue crews had climbed up the mountain from various trails. Charles Black was eventually found by Maine State Wardens Michelle Merrifield and Dave Simmons, with the help of Merrifield’s dog, Duchess, at Maiden Cliff.