U.S. Coast Guard Station Rockland reported the following activity.

Aug. 20

At 4:30 p.m. Station Rockland received a report that there was a swimmer heading for the channel in Rockland Harbor and that the caller had lost sight of the person from their position on Cooper’s Beach. A response boat was diverted from a training mission in the area and arrived on the scene at 4:40 p.m.

The crew of the response boat conducted a visual search of the area but was not able to find the swimmer. At 4:59 p.m. a Coast Guard minivan was sent to Cooper’s Beach from the station to conduct a shore side search, and the response boat began a shoreline search toward Owls Head. At 5:20 p.m. Station Rockland contacted Maine Marine Patrol to notify them of the situation and request their assistance in the search. The station also contacted the local harbormaster for assistance finding the swimmer.

All three agencies searched the harbor and surrounding areas and questioned vessels in the vicinity and people on the shore. At 6:45 p.m. Maine Marine Patrol was able to locate the swimmer and determine that he was safe and did not need any medical attention. The swimmer, who had been out of the water for the previous two hours, stated that he was training for an upcoming triathlon and was taking advantage of the nice conditions for a swim in the harbor. All Coast Guard assets were released from the search and returned to the station.

Aug. 27

At 11:50 a.m. Station Rockland received a phone call from a man stating there were three life jackets in the water eight miles south of Monroe Island. At 12:16 p.m. a response boat was diverted from another mission to render assistance or search the area if needed. At 12:36 p.m. the response boat arrived and was unable to find any debris or life jackets. Sector Northern New England developed a search plan based on the information that they had and passed it to the response boat. At 1:05 p.m. the response boat began its initial search of the area. At 4:42 the response boat had completed three separate searches of the area with negative results, so the case was suspended pending any further information. Sector Northern New England released the response boat and it returned to the station.