U.S. Coast Guard Station Rockland reported the following activity.

July 4

At 10:20 a.m. Station Rockland received a phone call from the captain of the sailing vessel Surprise stating that they had been hit on the beam by the sailing vessel Condor in Camden Harbor. The captain reported that both boats were safely moored in the marina, but two people were taken to the hospital for minor injuries.

At 11 a.m. a two-person response team was sent to assess the situation and determine if any assistance was needed. They arrived on scene at 11:23 a.m. and determined that the boats and crew were both safe. They decided there wasn’t any potential for pollution discharge from the vessels. At 12:05 p.m. the response team departed Camden Harbor and returned to the station. Case closed.

At 8:05 p.m. Station Rockland received a radio call on VHF Channel 16 from the vessel Wayfarer One that a 22-foot motor vessel was aground by Camden Harbor buoy No. 6. At 8:06 p.m. the motor vessel Seamaster notified the station that it was aground with four people on board, and that it had lost the lower unit to its engine.

A response boat was launched with a four-person crew to assist the Seamaster. At 8:35 p.m. the response boat arrived on scene and determined that the Seamaster was actually anchored, not aground. They took the Seamaster directly into a side tow since the vessel was so close to the Camden docks, and safely moored them up. Case closed.

July 12

At 6:50 p.m. Station Rockland received a radio call on VHF Channel 16 from the Anadyolmene that there was a capsized vessel by Calderwood Island near the east entrance of the Fox Island Thorofare. It was later determined that the 19-foot daysailer was aground and it had never actually capsized.

At 6:55 p.m. the sailing vessel Cloud Dancer overheard Station Rockland’s radio communication on Channel 16 and advised Station Rockland that they were in the area of the distressed vessel and en route to assist them.

Station Rockland launched a response boat at 7:01 p.m. with a three-person crew. At 7:09 p.m. the Cloud Dancer arrived on scene and sent a dingy to shore to pick up two people from the grounded vessel.

The Coast Guard response boat arrived on scene at 7:28 p.m. and, because the two survivors were safely aboard the Cloud Dancer and not in need of Coast Guard assistance, began to monitor the situation.

The 19-foot daysailer was grounded on the opposite side of Calderwood Island from where the two people were rescued. The Cloud Dancer began transiting to the grounded vessel’s location to try and remove it from the beach. At 8:33 p.m. the owners of the two vessels were able to remove the daysailer from the beach and take it into a stern tow with the Cloud Dancer.

The coxswain of the response boat conducted a safety inspection of the daysailer and tow, and determined that the Cloud Dancer could safely tow it back to North Haven. The response boat departed the scene and the station began a 30-minute communication schedule with the Cloud Dancer.

At 9:41 p.m. the Cloud Dancer safely moored the daysailer. Case closed.

Station Rockland Commanding Officer Chief Sebastian Arnsdorf added this note to the previous log entry.

“I would like to personally thank the owner of the Cloud Dancer for their response in this situation,” Arnsdorf said. “Their professional seamanship and willingness to help a fellow sailor in need was both admirable and appreciated.”

July 13

At 2:20 p.m. Coast Guard Station Northern New England in Portland notified Station Rockland that they had received an automated SOS hit approximately three nautical miles southeast of Owls Head.

A response boat was launched at 2:32 p.m. with a three-person crew to conduct a search of the area. A Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Cape Cod also responded to assist in the search efforts. The response boat arrived on scene at 2:58 p.m. and began executing its initial search of the area. The visibility was only 75 yards, so the coxswain had to reduce the speed that he would normally go in the response boat during a search of this type, but he was still able to achieve search area saturation. After three hours of intense searching from those on scene with negative results, Sector Northern New England decided the search area had been thoroughly covered and suspended efforts pending any future developments. The response boat returned to the station. Case closed.