Capt. William Norwood was born in 1769 and was a native of Mt. Desert, but he followed the sea from North Haven. It was on that land that he met and married Deborah Winslow on Jan. 8, 1804. During the War of 1812, he wanted to remove his property to a less exposed place than the island, so that is when he moved to Camden.

He was a merchant in a building on Commercial Street (known then as the “Stockbridge Building”) next to the Camden Anchor Works (where the public landing is today). He bought a home on Elm Street, later occupied by his granddaughter Harriet. He also owned Hall Farm.

He was successful both at sea and in business. He and Deborah had a family of six children: John W.K., William A., Harriet (married George Chase, a lawyer of Calais), Joshua G. and Maria, who died young.

Capt. William Norwood died at age 55 on May 24, 1824. His wife, Deborah, died in 1849.

The captain’s son John W.K. Norwood was born in North Haven in 1804 and came here to Camden with his father. He was in business with Joseph Jones for many years and later by himself. He served four years after being appointed as postmaster of Camden in 1849. The governor appointed him as county commissioner for a four-year term. His greatest interests were in education and the general welfare of Camden. He married Ephraim Wood’s daughter Clementine and they had one daughter, Frances. Capt. John owned a home on Elm Street, later owned by his nephew J.H. Norwood.

John died at the age of 71 on May 3, 1875. His wife, Clementine, died in 1894.

Capt. William Norwood’s son Joshua G. was also born in North Haven, coming to Camden with his father and remaining here the rest of his life. He also was a very successful businessman in this part of the state. He went to public schools in town and at Warren and China Academies. He married Hon. Joseph Hall’s daughter Harriet and Joshua taught school for a while. They had six children: Frederick A., Joseph H., Maria, Ella M., Granville C. and Joshua G. Jr.

Then he formed a partnership with Samuel D. Carleton under the name of Carleton & Norwood. They started a general store in what is now Rockport, as well as a shipbuilding business and lime burning. They laid the foundation of their business, which became one of the largest businesses in Eastern Maine. It was “hands on” for the two men, who worked untiringly when help was scarce. In 1849 P.J. Carleton became a partner. When Joshua died on May 9, 1876, it was difficult for the company but they carried on. Up until the year he died, they had built 45 vessels, including large ones, and they had made a name for themselves all over the world.

One of the more famous vessels was Frederick Billings, the second four-masted ship built in the United States. It was the largest square-rigged vessel ever built on the Penobscot waters.

Joshua’s wife, Harriet, died in 1882.

Capt. William Norwood’s son William A. also followed the sea, and became another Capt. William Norwood. He was born in 1807 and lived for a time on Hall Farm on the land his father owned and he built a house. In the early 1900s, it was owned by H.L. Payson. He, like the others in the Norwood family, became a merchant in Camden. He married Eveline, the daughter of Hon. Ephraim Wood., and their children were: Ellen M., Harriet W., William E., Ephraim W. and George M.C. Son Capt. William died on April 9, 1887, nearly 80 years old. Capt. William A. Norwood’s wife, Eveline, died in 1902.

There are other members of the Norwood family buried at Mountain View Cemetery. One who was not buried at Mountain View was William E., the son of William Norwood, who died in September 1890 in San Francisco, Calif. He had enlisted in Co. F, 26 Maine Regiment in the Civil War, serving as a lieutenant. After the war he became a stock broker and when he died he was president of the San Francisco Stock and Exchange Board.

We have Norwood Avenue off Elm Street and several Norwood homes in Camden. The family made an interesting impact on Camden.

The next article will be about Decoration Day.