One of the most civic minded, community oriented businessmen, George H. Thomas, spent his entire life in Camden. He was born in this town Sept. 1, 1892, the son of J. Frank and Nellie Patterson Thomas.

He graduated from Camden High School in the class of 1911, and worked in a grocery store until he became treasurer and manager of Camden Yacht Building & Railway Co. in 1922. During that time, he was also vice president of the Camden Athletic Association.

In 1918, he left for New York for limited service in World War I. By 1920 he had been elected third selectman of Camden. Upon his return he was again elected third selectman. An attractive young woman from Hope became Camden’s district nurse, Frances Grassow, whom he later met and married. They had three children, Margaret, John and Harriet.

Mr. Thomas left the Camden Yacht Building & Railway Co., and purchased property owned by the Camden Lumber and Fuel Company. He opened his own business in 1924 at that location on Bay View Street and called it the George H. Thomas Fuel Co.

In the 1930s he held offices on the Board of Trade, both secretary and later president. About 1936 George Thomas and friend Adin Hopkins purchased the property of the Eastern Steamship Co., which had gone out of business after 102 years of service between Bangor and Boston. The so-called Boston Boat, Belfast, left Camden for its final trip Dec. 27, 1935. Automobiles, trucks and buses were taking over passenger and freight business.

A group of men decided it would be nice to have a place for the young to toboggan, ski and skate. They had chosen Marshall’s field at the end of John Street and the Montgomery Bog for skating on Elm Street. George Thomas was an active member of that committee. This was taking place in 1936, but the same year they decided that Hosmer Pond was a much larger place; it was the beginning of the Snow Bowl.

In the latter part of the 1930s Mr. Thomas was service officer of the American Legion, secretary of the Camden YMCA and treasurer of the Camden Lions Club, as well as third vice president of the Camden Outing Club.

In the 1940s he found time to be on the school board for 21 years, and the chamber of commerce, and with Leroy Alley started up a baseball team that they managed. He was president of the Camden Alumni Association in 1948.

He was a member of the First Congregational Church in Camden and ushered many, many Sundays. He was also active in other ways in his church. George served on the Governor’s Council and the State Park Commission.

He ran George H. Thomas Fuel Company for about 40 years and had very clever advertisements in The Camden Herald on what “Joe Seagull” had to say.

Camden lost a popular and dedicated man when Mr. Thomas died suddenly April 4, 1963 at home at age 70. His funeral services were held from his beloved church with the Rev. Roscoe Riley officiating.

The next article will be about a much loved chief.