Lawrence Francis Anthony, known to all as “Hossa,” died March 12, 2010, at the home of his nephew Nick Philbrook and Nick’s fiancée Lacey, surrounded by family and friends. He was born April 15, 1953, to Sylvia Anthony and her husband, Francis.

Hossa had been battling cancer for several months and finally slipped away peacefully where he wanted to be, on Matinicus Island, a place he always referred to as “home” even though he grew up on nearby Vinalhaven and lived for several years on the mainland in both Port Clyde and Waldoboro, among other places. He spent his last year on Matinicus.

He is survived by his wife, Diane, and their children, Monica, Levi and Hannah; his other children, Renee, Malibu, Joshua and Christopher; his sister, Viva Martin and her children, Jody, Harold and Sylvia; his brother, Dallas “Deli” Anthony and his wife, Ann, and their children, Tommy, David, Amy and Ellen; his sister, Edith Norton and her children, Rosemary and Rhoda; his sister, Ada and her children, Than, Frankie T and Faye; his sister, Wanda Philbrook and her husband, Clayton, and their children, Troy, Nick and Samantha; his sister, Carolyn and her children, Christina and Randy Jr.; his brother, Lavon “Biscuit” Ames III and his children, Hannah, Hunter and Dillon; his sister, Cathy Oakes and her husband, Robert, and her children, Robert, Holly and Colby “Beep”; his sister, Jackie Ames; his aunt, Jackie Dyer; his nephew, Marshall Ames; his four grandchildren, Aliza, Jacob, Caleb and Gavin; and many other nieces and nephews.

He was predeceased by his parents; his sister, Ada Thompson; his brother, Maxwell and Max’s daughter, Marina; his nephews, Dallas “Buckshot” Martin and Francis “Buster” Martin.

Hossa spent his life in the fishing business, lobstering, gillnetting, seining, anything to be on the water, and when he moved to the mainland he ran Black Sheep Bait with his wife, Diane, which kept him in touch with the fishing industry and made him many new friends. He was always a hard worker and unable to just sit down and take it easy. Even when he was battling cancer last summer he went sternman with Edwin Mitchell on Matinicus.

He loved to hunt, especially with his brother Max and between them they always managed to bag something, either furred or feathered, when they took to the woods in search of fresh meat.

He will be greatly missed by his large extended family and his many, many friends up and down the coast of Maine.

His friends and family would like to thank the hospice workers at Kno-Wal-Lin, especially Larry Hills, who took such good care of him his last few months as well as Kevin Waters and the employees of Penobscot Island Air.

Services are scheduled for Saturday, April 17, weather permitting; transportation to and from Rockland will be via the Sunbeam. His ashes will be spread on No Man’s Land Island off of Matinicus and placed in the Matinicus cemetery beside his brother Max and niece Marina as he wanted.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the American Cancer Society or Matinicus Island Rescue.