Firefighters from several towns rushed to Meadow Lane in Hope the morning of March 5 after a fire was reported in a home there. One pet dog was killed in the blaze.

The home at 19 Meadow Lane is owned by Glen and Robin Adolphsen, according to Fire Chief Clarence Keller. No people were injured in the fire.

The pet dog died from smoke inhalation, according to the fire chief. Another pet dog escaped from the building and appeared to be doing well, but was taken to a veterinarian.

Maine State Trooper Jeremiah Wesbrock was off duty in his cruiser and heard the call for the structure fire in Hope, according to the Maine State Police. He arrived before the fire department got there and helped the home owners remove items from the garage.

While he was there, a golden retriever came out of the house, suffering from smoke inhalation. Wesbrock carried the dog to the emergency medical technicians who had arrived on the scene, and they gave the dog oxygen.

The fire, which started in the kitchen toaster, caused extensive smoke damage. Actual fire damage was caused in the kitchen, attic and roof. Firefighters could be seen throwing out damaged insulation on the upper deck of the home.

No one was home when the fire started. Keller said one of the occupants arrived home and discovered that the house was on fire.

Firefighters from Hope, Union, Appleton, Rockport and Lincolnville worked at the scene.

Meadow Lane is off Crabtree Road.